• Beeper says that it received and verified reports of 30 users of Beeper Cloud or Mini that had their Macs banned from using iMessage by Apple.
  • Apple Support says the Macs were banned from accessing iMessage due to “spam.”
  • Beeper has disabled new iMessage connections to Beeper Cloud, and it’s unclear when or if functionality might return.
  • Salvo@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

It has been so insanely self destructive for Beeper to continue trying to implement this.

It reminds me of Palm and WebOS trying to piggyback off iTunes in the 2010s. It doesn’t help your users, it doesn’t help your company, it doesn’t help your platform and introduces so much liability to everyone. I sometimes wonder if Jon Rubinstein trying to push WebOS/iTunes integration was just a last ditch effort to sink the project.

• entropicdrift@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Wild to me that you don’t see it as self-destructive of Apple to pull this BS as they stare down anti-trust action from multiple major world governments.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Signal recently said they predict $50m cost per year. Do you think Apple runs their servers for free? I’d be mad if someone highjacked my servers without my permission.

• guyinachair@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago
          1. I’d pay for the service if I could

2. Apple implementing RCS involves using their own servers too, which they’ve claimed they’d add anyway.

3. Why do people feel the need to defend a 400B corporations pockets? Over a small companies desire to unify messaging for everyone. Across multiple apps even. What’s app, RCS, imessage, signal, fb messenger, twitter PMs, discord and more being added. Bro there’s even indeed PMs there.

• Pohl@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Platform exclusive software isn’t my favorite thing in the world but it seems unavoidable. Nobody is out here calling for legal action against Nintendo for not selling a pc copy of Mario. It’s the same thing. Why does iMessage exclusivity make people so angry?

• TheLordlessBard@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

One is a video game and the other is a company creating barriers to communication in an attempt to sell more devices. Not really equivalent imo

• Salvo@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

Are they really creating barriers?

You can still send an MMS to someone with an iPhone, and vice-versa. SMS and RCS is also supported.

If anyone is creating barriers to communication, Googles proprietary E2E layer on top of RCS is creating incompatibility much more restrictive than whether someone’s text is blue or green.

• ericjmorey@programming.dev
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

I’d say both Apple and Google are creating barriers. A common form of communication, sending a picture or video, is a degraded experience due to Apple.

I’ve been able to convert several people to use signal because of that limitation.

• Salvo@aussie.zone
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                5 months ago

IMessage App without iMessage Service functions exactly the same as MMS functioned on pre-iPhone devices. There isn’t any “degraded experience” unless you consider a different coloured bubble, and no E2E encryption to be degraded experience.

• ericjmorey@programming.dev
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  5 months ago

exactly the same as MMS functioned on pre-iPhone devices.

We don’t live in the past. Apple’s decisions degraded the experience compared to what was already common outside of iMessage and non-iMessage intercommunication.

• smileyhead
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

After years of abandoning dozens of messaging apps and extinguishing XMPP, Google takes the most obscure and abandoned protocol to create a proprietary app to now blame Apple for being not interoperable?

• steakmeout@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

iPhones can still use SMS, Macs and iPads can use other messaging apps. There’s no barrier here, there is proprietary service and yes that sucks.