• tormeh
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

No, the way it’s often used is closer to “posh guest worker”.

• puppy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Migrant implies the non permanent kind because a permanent migrant is referred to as an “immigrant”.

What’s the technical difference between a migrant and an expat?

• Skelectus@suppo.fi
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

I believe the difference is that an expat moved there non-permanently, while an immigrant moved there permanently

Though if I ever somehow became an expat, I wouldn’t use the word because of how people associate it.

• puppy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Immigrant = Someone who has moved to another country permanently. Migrant = Someone who has moved to another country temporarily.

Expat is often used by western migrants who don’t like the word “migrant”.

I take issue with it because people classify an Indian doctor moved to the US as a migrant but an American doctor eho has moved to Europe is an expat.

• FlorianSimon@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

What you call an expat is a temporary immigrant. “Expats” fill immigration forms in their country of migration, not expatriation forms. Politicians pass laws that govern immigration, not expatriation.

That word is meant to differentiate rich (and white, often) workers from the poor, because “immigrant” has a negative connotation. That’s why I take issue with it.

The truth is, the poor might be temporary migrants too (cf Pakistanis in Dubai). The media still uses the word migrants for those. We don’t know if they’re “expats” or not, we just assume because they’re not rich or white enough.

Quick disclaimer here: I’m not saying you are racist for using the word. I just wanted to explain why I react so strongly when I hear it.

• freebee@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

No it’s just about moneymaking and education level. If you’re a foreigner and highly educated and get a good paying job like IT consultant or doctor, you’re an expat. If you’re low educated and get a low paying job like construction or factory or no job, you’re a migrant. One is liked more than the other, hence the difference they make. The first doesn’t speak local language, but does speak English, and few people care. The second doesn’t speak local language and no English and is disliked for it.How long you stay is not very relevant. AfD doesn’t hare expats as much as other migrants, for example…