I really want Lemmy to work but I’m having a difficult time tracking different communities across different instances. It feels like I’m doing something wrong. I typically just land on the lemmy.world front page and scroll through there, and I see some interesting stuff, but I’d like to learn how to curate it a bit more

• Ulu-Mulu-no-die@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Try this: go into your user settings, change Type from Local to Subscribed and Sort type from Active to Hot (or New if you prefer that).

Then click on Communities on the top bar, switch the list from Local to All, and find communities you’re interested in, you can also search for specific names.

Avoid names ending in @beehaw.org if you see them, they defederated us so we can’t interact with them anymore.

When you find something you like, click on the community name to go to their page, on the right you’ll find the Subscribe button.

After you subscribed to enough communities, close lemmy and open it again, see if it’s better that way (it is for me).

• orbitt@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Important note is that Hot is current broken in Lemmy leading to older posts getting boosted to the top in error. It’s currently being worked on for the next release.

• wildchandelure@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I had a feeling it was broken. Both active and hot keep showing posts from 2-4 days ago. I’m still looking for an option to hide read posts but i found something that kind of works.

You can change your settings to not show read posts in your feed. Only problem is you gotta open the comments or upvote em. But it helps.

And right now New is definitely the way to go.

I would recommend to Lemmy to add something like top by hour or 12 hours as well, or something similar to the rising sorting with reddit. That might help things become less stale.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Apparently some idiots from here think it’s fun coordinating a troll-attack on them and they don’t have enough mod power to deal with it, so they removed their connections with us and sh.itjust.works.

• orbitt@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’m not sure if I was the intended reply, but as someone with a Beehaw account I can say that this defed is intended to be temporary and at the behest of better mod tools and better moderation of the offending instances.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I answered the one asking what happened.

Anyway, I get it’s temporary, I’m not a mod but if they say better tools are needed, I believe them.

better moderation of the offending instances.

What does that mean?

Do they expect lemmy.world admins to police 25K people across 700+ servers? I don’t think that’s how it works.

Or do they mean that they reported harassers to our admins and they didn’t do anything about it?

• OrangeSlice@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Do they expect lemmy.world admins to police 25K people across 700+ servers? I don’t think that’s how it works.

I think that the expectation is that lemmy.world needs to show a good faith effort to moderate users coming from their instance. I’m not sure whether they have or have not done this, since it is not my home instance.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

lemmy.world mods cannot moderate content on beehaw, it’s beehaw that has to actively report trolls, I hope they understand that at least.

And if they don’t, it’s probably better for them to stay defederated.

• TwistedFox@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I keep seeing people mention clicking on Communities, but I don’t see that. Am I missing something?
      My top bar has "All, Subscribed, Moderated, Favorites, and then a bunch of magazine suggestions. I don’t see Communities anywhere.

Edit: Just noticed that this is a Lemmy threaed, is it because I am looking at it via kbin and the communities tab is only in Lemmy? This fediverse thing will take some getting used to.

• CaptainJanegay@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, I’m not sure why this thread is showing (to me) as being on kbin.social, but I assume it’s actually on a Lemmy instance since OP asked about the Lemmy UI.

On Kbin you can click on the burger menu and then “magazines”, or just go to /magazines

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I think kbin and lemmy are meant to be federated with each other, tho federation was temporarily disabled on kbin because the servers couldn’t hold under the immense pressure of reddit refugees.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

kbin magazines are the equivalent of lemmy communities.

On the top bar next to kbin logo there should be “Threads, Microblog, People, Magazines”, subscribe works the same.

• gutter_fudder@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

As I understand it:

Three of the filters on the front page are “subscribed”, “local” and “all.”

Subscribed filtering is what you are looking for to have a curated front page.

Local is a front page specific to posts on your registered instance [in my case, any sub instance (is that their name?) post from Lemmy.world]

All is any Lemmy post across all instances

• jimmyjazx@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

You gotta subscribe more, it helps you and others on your instance. I do 2 things- sort by new/all and subscribe to anything interesting, but that’s only what others on your instance already subscribed to. The other thing is to use a search tool to find specific interests across instances, I came across this - https://lemmyverse.net/communities

• Steeve@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve been really liking All - TopDay personally, then popping back to Local when I get bored of reddit drama