With all of the sketchy products Amazon has and their bad practices, I’m really considering getting rid of Amazon. The only thing I will really miss is the fast shipping.

My reasoning is that I don’t use Prime benefits outside of shipping because I don’t play live service games anymore, and lots of local stores price match.

For those of you who have ditched Amazon(or not), what’s your reasoning and advice?

Any input is appreciated, thank you.

• evasive_chimpanzee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

In my opinion, the best option is ordering online from whatever business makes the thing. If it takes a few days longer than Amazon, that’s fine by me. Often, support for good products is easier to get if you’ve ordered right from the source, too. My second choice is ordering online from a non-amazon store. E.g., for electronics, new egg or best buy, for tools, home depot, for groceries, whatever your local chain is, etc. Not that any of those businesses are going to be completely better than Amazon, but that way you are at least avoiding the monopoly. Lots of those businesses have free shipping, too, anyway.

Only if you actually need something right away, would I advocate going to the brick and mortar location. I almost never need anything right away, though. Only real exception is groceries; I’ve never been a huge fan of grocery delivery (for me).