• Saneless@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Absolutely true. No one (well, very few, even the obvious ones) was even openly gay before the 2000s

People who weren’t around as at least a teen before 2000s have no clue how silent anyone was on being gay. It just about never was discussed

It was not a safe thing to admit. Being trans would be significantly worse for them I’m sure

The original question is just groomer-accusing trash, probably by someone who indoctrinates children religiously and are scared another group “with an agenda” might get to them first

• Hextic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yep. Nobody was out in the 90s. None. The one goth kid that wore a tiny bit of eyeliner was a big fucking deal and he was straight (had a big tiddy goth gf).

• Serinus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

You’re going too far. There were definitely plenty of kids out in the 90s. Not as many as today, but maybe one or two per school, depending on the school.

• tryptaminev 🇵🇸 🇺🇦 🇪🇺@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Being “out” as in everyone knew it publicly, or just some rumors going on and maybe their closest friends actually being in on it?

In my highschool of 600 people in the 2000s i am not aware if a single person that was officially out. Instead for most of the people you’d suspect it, it later became official.

• BrianTheeBiscuiteer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yup. There was a guy in our class that was pretty obvious but he maintained he was straight. He even dated a few girls. While I don’t think we (his closest friends) would’ve ostracized him, we definitely would’ve made every convo about his gayness and teased him for it. “Fag” and “homo” were still very common slurs in the late 90s. That’s enough to stay in the closet. If anyone came out as trans I’m sure it would’ve been just as bad.

• Saneless@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Using fag as just a general insult took me a long time to break out of. It was rampant in the 80s and 90s. But it was reflective of what people thought: gay=bad choice. Aids made that even worse

So while using it as a slur for your friends wasn’t gay bashing it was basically saying your friend was as lame as a gay person is, which people looked down on

Thankfully in my mid teens I got the chance to work with gay people and I realized any negative way of thinking or treating them was way off base and ignorant. I was never that bad at all but I had the general unease that people back then had. The. You just realize there’s nothing special about them. Just people being attracted to people. That sounds so obvious now but 30-40 years ago it wasn’t normal to think that whatsoever