• shalafi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Old guy here. This sort of idiocy was super rare before the internet. You were mostly limited to talking with family, friends and coworkers. And those people would ridicule idiot ideas, make the idiot take a step back and consider. Humiliation and humiliation avoidance are powerful motivators.

Now idiots can group up and reinforce each other. It’s been rather horrifying watching this roll out over the last 30-years.

• Aggravationstation@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

People have always believed in outlandish conspiracies. For example The Protocols of the Elders of Zion was debunked over 100 years ago but still went on to influence the Nazis after that as well as countless other antisemitic groups and conspiracy theories to this day.

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/index.php/content/en/article/protocols-of-the-elders-of-zion

Convincing people of something they don’t believe with evidence is almost impossible, as anyone who’s spent time on the internet knows.

So how are these conspiracy groups convincing people without evidence? Simple, they’re not. They’re providing validation for the ideas and general misgivings that certain people already had, as fringe groups have done for generations. It’s just that in the past it happened privately, now it’s taking place in public forums.

Maybe the internet allows dumb ideas to spread faster. But it also lets criticism of those ideas and evidence against them spread at the same speed. The problem is the people who need to hear it will never listen.

TL:DR - Some people have always been stupid and looked for validation of their beliefs, now they do it online instead of IRL as with everything else in life.

• stoly@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I very vividly recall sometime in mid 1996 or so when the worldwide web was first becoming a thing and e-commerce was in its infancy. I thought how much better the world was going to be because people would have access to all the ideas. They’d no longer be isolated in their little tribes where they could be racist and hateful.

Wow, did humanity ever prove me wrong with its ability to generate protective bubbles around itself.

• Crashumbc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

It happens faster with the Internet. But I mean Scientology started before the Internet…

• JdW@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Rare, but not super rare. You are misremembering the large amount of pamphlets, direct mail and newspaper/magazine ads that fed a propensity for stupid people to try and get rich or circumvent rules. There were no doubt regional differences, but e.g. in the Netherlands there were a few people with large tax trick companies/movements that gained a lot of traction and money before they eventually got stopped by the courts. Talking late 70s/80s. here.

• AbsoluteChicagoDog@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Not really. What is this guy doing that could hurt anyone? He’s only hurting himself here.

Now far right militias, those are scary.

• stoly@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

They are hurting us by not paying taxes and potentially not maintaining their vehicle or driving safely.

• BonesOfTheMoon@lemmy.worldOPM
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Actually think of sovcit kids. They are “home schooled” which means they don’t get an education, they don’t have birth certificates or social insurance numbers, and they don’t get vaccinated. It’s quite dangerous for them.

• Drusas@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

social insurance security numbers

The US has no real social insurance unless you want to include Medicaid/Medicare.

• Volkditty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I don’t see what the problem is here. Just cash the unemployment check with your fingers crossed behind your back. And if the IRS finds out and tries to shoot a laser at you just say, “Nuh uh, I had my force field up.”

• Tar_Alcaran@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Me: “firing someone because they don’t have a driver’s license seems illegal”

reads post about driving without a license

“Nevermind”

• MrJameGumb@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

“sovereign citizen”

Translation: member of the tin foil hat brigade who doesn’t want to contribute anything but still expects the government to bail them out whenever they need it

• HollandJim@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Banks have equity and are insured. These chucklefucks don’t want to “sign a contract”, pay taxes or contribute to society but still expect a handout. The answer is NO.

Get with the society or get the fuck out. They should know that phrase well enough to be familiar with the point of it.

• lars@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

When I, on the other hand, make grammar mistakes, my boss is made aware that it is my STRAW MAN responsible for them. Bosses hate this one weird trick.

• lars@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Hi friends, there is a legal PERSON DigitalTraveler42 trynna fire my STRAW MAN even though I (born of BLOOD) am the erstwhile employee. Am I feeling a summons in the air?? Please help gobless.