Me personally, I find the EZLN fascinating. (if there is anything bad about them, let me know because I do not know much bad things about them)

They are one of the few movements that anarchists praise that I actually think are based, although the Zapatistas have told westerners to stop calling them anarchists, communists, or anything else.

They also fight against drug cartels and seem to have created one of the most stable territories in the Chiapas region.

However, they are too small to do anything big like overthrowing the Mexican government. They would be crushed quickly.

Give me your thoughts on the EZLN and/or, as the title suggests, any non-ML movements that you support.

• ComradeSalad@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Yeah, but prohibition was absolute garbage since everyone was STILL drunk, just now the alcohol supply was owned by the Mob.

Per one journalist’s study, it took a maximum of 10 minutes for a “tourist” “out of towner” in any city in the US to find alcohol. The record was a 30 seconds when the cab driver of one city immediately pulled out beer from a compartment in the cab when asked where to get alcohol.

• QueerCommie@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Sure, alcohol wasn’t eliminated, but it was progress. Back before prohibition people drank alcohol like water, and the fact that most don’t anymore is good (not that there aren’t widespread substance abuse problems of other types). I suggest you listen to the Gastropod episode.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I have before, but the reduction in alcohol drinking primarily came from the restriction, rationing, and lack of ingredients during WW1 and WW2 as opposed to Prohibition. It had a worse inverse effect, all it did was force drinking underground and made it a taboo topic to discuss.

Prohibition increased alcohol stockpiling which allowed most people to “ride out” the initial wave, and by the time many stockpiles ran dry, the mob and local moonshiners has established a strong enough network to maintain supply.

Funnily enough, one bar stockpiled so much alcohol prior to prohibition, that they were able to legally sell and advertise their alcohol for the entire prohibition since it was legal to sell Pre-Prohibiton alcohol.

• QueerCommie@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

I guess prohibition didn’t really succeed, but it doesn’t mean it wasn’t worth supporting.

• PeeOnYou@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I’d rather support the prohibition of advertising alcohol. That alone would probably destroy the market in a generation.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I feel like any sort of prohibition is one of those things that sound incredible on paper, but rarely have any logistical or material chance in succeeding, and end in an ultimate failure.

It’s better to undermine the societal and cultural mechanisms that purport the problems posed by things like drugs, sex, and alcohol; rather then trying to magically ban it and create a criminal element out of a portion of the population.