Me personally, I find the EZLN fascinating. (if there is anything bad about them, let me know because I do not know much bad things about them)

They are one of the few movements that anarchists praise that I actually think are based, although the Zapatistas have told westerners to stop calling them anarchists, communists, or anything else.

They also fight against drug cartels and seem to have created one of the most stable territories in the Chiapas region.

However, they are too small to do anything big like overthrowing the Mexican government. They would be crushed quickly.

Give me your thoughts on the EZLN and/or, as the title suggests, any non-ML movements that you support.

• cass@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

As a Brazilian organized communist,

Just no. Especially his latest moves. In fact last night he just pushed a provisional measure (a law that can take effect now, go to congress later) to legalize cassinos and other gambling establishments. Effective immediately too

He’s not done any actual reforms, just means tested welfare programs. In fact he privatized a bunch of stuff in his first tenure. He also signed the drug laws that shot incarceration rates sky high (in fact a comrade was arrested for possesing weed and not released for over a year despite not being sentenced).

His job is making things seem “not all that bad” and keeping the forces of reaction well fed.

I’m not mad at you for not knowing, but as a Brazilian Communist I am extremely angry at the fact they misled you

Edit: I can go on and on and if y’all actually want me to. Don’t “support” this enemy of our class in front of me again.

And yes, he’s better than the “electorally viable” alternatives, but we have second rounds for election so we vote communist!

• Sleepless One@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

His job is making things seem “not all that bad” and keeping the forces of reaction well fed.

I suppose he’s like the Biden to Bolsanaro’s Trump, in that now that the obviously shit guy is out of office, a bunch of people who were mobilized go back to brunch while nothing fundamentally changes?

• cass@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

That was his job from the moment he was elected in 2002, he famously signed a letter promising ot to rip any national or international contracts during his tenure (and so he did) https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carta_ao_povo_brasileiro

Right now it’s worse than before because the “normal” has shifted a fuckton to the right (thanks to his inaction and often funding of enemies). He’s just continuing that shift right, his liberal economy ministry pushed for a budget reform that will gut public funding even more starting next year but his gov will just play dumb

• cass@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Not anti-imperialist given domestix policy (aforementioned privatizations, etc). Just not an imperialist running dog like Boric

• olgas_husband@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

No, the majority of brazillian left thinks imperialism isn’t real, just wild conspiracy theories. buuuuut, our diplomacy has always been independent, meaning we held talks with everyone, including libia, drpk, iraq, cuba and so on. then the 2016 coup came and we became usa lapdog, then in 2023 our diplomacy is back.

lately my impression was that after lula’s visit to china, he came back with his eyes focused on the global south, so the brics is back, we are talking with everyone again, he even jump the gun to respond when someone talk shit about venezuela, denouncing dollar hegemony on g20 and g7, ignoring zelensky, refusing to send weapons to ukraine and talking about peace, talking about historical debt that central capitalists countries have with former colonies, their responsibility with environment issues and etc.

as the comrade said earlier, internally he is severely lacking, making deals with the worst and most reactionary people there is, putting the same elbow grease to revert privatizations, making very very shy reforms that changes basically nothing, treating supporters as mere voters instead of actual political subjects immobilizing the working class.

so yeah, a figure with a lot of contradictions, don’t misread me i voted for him, in front of reactionaries and common neoliberals i will defend him with tooth and nail, in front of comrade i gladly debate his limitations and mistakes