First and foremost, let me say that I appreciate you actually engaging in a real discussion on Lemmy!

Why did I make this community? Well, mostly in response to the rest of Lemmy and the way many otherwise interesting discussion threads fall apart into downvoting and groupthink.

I don’t like people making baseless accusations and defend people on all sides when people are wrong about their opposition. I hate it when people think they know what others think and project incorrect (and often evil) bullshit on each other. It’s important to maintain solid reasoning and conclusions, not just one or the other.

I hate people being wilfully wrong because their group fetishizes a certain angle of the truth instead of the boring reality of the situation.

Ideas are important and I don’t feel we can get out of the current shitty slump we’re in with political discourse unless we are able to clearly articulate ourselves and discuss the world we’re in.

So let’s talk like people. What do you want to talk about?

• ddrcrono@lemmy.caM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Good idea. In theme with what you’re talking about, I think that it would be interesting to explore some topics where there’s broad agreement - or rather, to see if we can find some where there are. I’m a strong believer that there are a lot of general social goods that can be accomplished without the involvement of politics or parties, but just on the basis of voluntarily doing good things for others and society as a whole.

(One example that the left/right might agree on for different reasons is equality of opportunity for all children. The left generally favours social policy that favours the young to begin with and the right generally talks a lot about equality of opportunity - yet because of how we start differently in life that is currently not the reality in a lot of countries. What would we need to do to make it so, and what’s most sensible?)

• Ace T'Ken@lemmy.caOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

That is something I would definitely like to explore. The how and why they both approach the same idea but for completely different reasons is always so fascinating to me. I have about two dozen things that I hope to be writing on over the next bit here, and of course if anybody else beats me to it then I’ll be contributing to that discussion.