I feel like lately a lot of job boards have become populated with scams, training courses disguised as jobs and the few jobs that are posted are just posted for show. Indeed.com is a good example as it used to be decent some years ago and now it’s hard to find an actual listed job. Linkedin is okay so far.

What job board do like you use when looking for where to apply? What are some decent job boards that like you had success with? Are there any job boards aren’t well known and still good?

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

When I’ve switched positions the past two times I just reached out to a local recruiter and let them know what I was looking for. Recruiters, the ones you contact - not the ones that spam your DMs, are extremely valuable.

• november@iusearchlinux.fyi
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Any tips on finding recruiters?
      Should I just be cold-connecting with them on LinkedIn, or is there a better way to reach out?

• FlumPHP@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Honestly, it’s hard as heck. When I was a hiring manager, it took me forever to find two firms that weren’t sleazy and had quality candidates. When I was looking for my new gig, neither of them had great leads for me.

Robert Half is pretty decent. Jobot and Workbridge are hot garbage.

• november@iusearchlinux.fyi
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Yeah seems I’ve only ever encountered some of the bad firms in that case.
          I’m gonna take a look at your recommendation, thanks!

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Search for field specific recruiter companies in your area and reach out to them. Most of the good companies have enough work that they don’t need to cold call clients on LinkedIn.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Interesting, thanks! Did you have to pay them, or would they get a commission from the company hiring you?

• pixelmeow@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

If you’re cleared, ClearanceJobs.com is great. I don’t think I got any scammers from there. Monster and Dice used to be my go-to sites but I got nothing good from them the last time (November last year).