Despite the triggering headline, this is a pretty good article that talks about how younger men are falling for this horseshit

• kemsat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

I’d say they’re doing it to themselves. Feminism doesn’t come across as inclusive, and has a “fall in line or get left behind” mentality.

Even something dumb like Sokka’s character growth from being a sexist 12 year old to respecting & appreciating women was said to have gotten removed from Netflix’s Avatar TLA remake.

At some point, that rigidity is going to push people away, and it appears that it didn’t take much to push people to villainize feminism.

• whoisearth@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I’d say they’re doing it to themselves. Feminism doesn’t come across as inclusive, and has a “fall in line or get left behind” mentality.

And on this I’d say I blame the parents most of all. I consider myself a feminist and grew up in an extended family of strong female figures. At no point was feminism (the word) discussed. What was, was an understanding that women are equal to men and deserve everything that a man has be it good or bad.

The problem is that many people fell on feminism as an ideal to latch on to without better understanding and espousing the core principles behind it.

Fast forward to now where I am a 46 year old man with a daughter and 2 boys I have far more concern for the boys than the girl and I make sure as often as possible to stress the principles of feminism and not just the word.

For women, “a rising tide lifts all boats”. Just as many men (I like to include myself) are doing all we can to bring women to a place of equality, women must also be beholden on themselves to ensure men do not get left behind.