Spoilers warning

Picked it up from the Goodreads science fiction top list. The description did not make much sense to me but I decided to give it a try based on the popularity.

It was a bit hard for me to get into but after a while the narrative made sense. It felt cosy to imagine all these travelers gather around and tell stories to each other. I liked the variety of styles and themes that each character contributes. But I still felt it was not fully stitched together. Yes, there is this shared universe but the transition from one tale to another still was jarring. And the ending was underwhelming. I was hoping for some closure, and the last tale kind of provided it, but then there was a heap of unanswered questions.

What were your thoughts? If you read the sequels, were they worth it?

• sdelling@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

It helps to think of it very much as Canterbury Tales: a frame story in which a group of pilgrims traveling together have spare time and share their life stories. In this case there’s enough overarching story to make you want to know what happens when they arrive at their destination, but that’s not this novel. It is very much the following ones.

• nodimetotie@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Yeah, I got that and I liked the different tones and variety of each individual tale. I guess I liked some tales more than others, but regardless I enjoyed the creativity of each individual tale

• kat_angstrom@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Absolutely loved Hyperion, and the sequel Fall of Hyperion does a fantastic job building and wrapping up most of the threads that started. On its own it can be fairly unsatisfying, but if you view it as a journey, not a destination, it’s a richer experience.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Ok, I might give it a try.

Spoiler

Does the next book at least explain what happened to the Templar?

• breadsmasher@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Theres four two books split into two overall stories. The first one is written differently to the other three.

Either way, Hyperion is my top favourite series ever. Highly recommend it

• malockin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Hyperion is the first book in a 4-book series: Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, The Rise of Endymion.

If I recall correctly, the first two were supposed to be one book, but were split to two because the publisher wanted more money or something to that effect. So finishing the first book leaves you effectively hanging with a lot of unresolved threads.

By itself, Hyperion seems like a collection of loosely related stories in the same universe. But the rest of the books in the series answer a lot (if not all, read it a long time ago) of the question and threads in the first book.

I can’t go into much detail without [mildly] spoiling the series, so I’ll just say this: the story is told by different speakers, but it all ties in pretty well.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

ok, I might give the second book a try. I can’t imagine the first two books being one gigantic book. The first one was already pretty long

• numbermess@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I thought I loved the first book when I read it, but I realized I hated the entire series when I read the fourth book.

• what_is_a_name@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Read all four books. I have read the series now. Perhaps 3x in the last 25 or so years since I discovered it.

The Fall of Hyperion is 100% a recommendation. The Endymion books are somewhat controversial. But I love them.

• Harpsist@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

It’s been about 10 years for me now.

I audiobooked them.

I wouldn’t have been able to do the first book except it was the only thing to entertain me for 7 hours in a drive.

Got into it obviously.

The whole ‘when humans die they release creativity’ or something. It was a big deal in my mind. I still think of it.

The whole ‘human save states’ was cool. But I legit don’t remember any of the characters from that side of the story. I think they all got fucked up by invasion or something? Greek heros or some thing? Honestly that whole side plot never tickled me right.

Weird seeds that infected people and turned them into immortal bound beings? Fuck yes. Bring it on.

Something about time travel ruins?

A woman who comes back in time to set things up only to be out of time to make up for lost time.

Teleportation murder machines.

Everything else is fuzzy at best.

How’d I do?

• negativeyoda@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

These were some of my favorite books at one time, but Simmons is a right wing chud these days. When you read his books with that awareness it’s actually kind of jarring how questionable some of the elements and characterizations he uses are.

I was really excited after finishing Hyperion and Endymion to read his other works, but Illium and Olympos made him out to be a one trick pony… plus those books just sucked

• slinkie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Overall I liked it. Some of the stories were more entertaining to me than others, but the stark contrast between them just made me want to keep reading to find out what the next story would be like.

Agreed about the ending, but when I found out there were more books in the series it made a bit more sense. I have the second one in my to-be-read pile.

• Baahb@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Gonna hop and the train and say “closure” is not what Hyperion offers, and it’s not intended to. Hyperion is honestly a subversive introduction to the next 3 books, in which you get 2 separate cathartic endings.

• Shareni@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

My favourite sci-fi series.

Books 3 and 4 are set far in the future after book 2, and the style changes a lot. I’d suggest to take a short break after book 2 to be able to appreciate it completely without Hyperion 3 expectations in the back of your mind.

• ThatsMrCharlieToYou@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I’ll pile in on what is already pretty well answered. I loved the entire series. The first book feels different to the remaining 3 but I did not find the remaining 3 lacking. By no means are they perfect but in some way, that’s better. As some other people have mentioned, there is some controversy surrounding the Endymion books but I found out after reading them which confirmed by suspicions after reading the books. Some politics definitely leaks in so you’ll have to make up your own mind on whether or not you’d like to partake.

In an attempt to answer your question though, yes, the sequels are worth reading in my opinion. No book is yet to replicate the scope of the world that is created in Hyperion. I love the lore that creeps in and the individuality of the characters which is best showcased in book 1 but is definitely present in book 2. The overall story is incredibly well told and satisfying. The end of book 2 was great, I did not realise until reading comments that others did not enjoy it as much as I did. Books 3 and 4 tell a different, yet related story, which is also genuinely wonderful. I was swept away in to the Hyperion universe by all of them.

If you do decide to read them, I hope you enjoy.

As a side note, the audiobooks are great but the narrator is not consistent with certain names and locations which is, to this day, one of my biggest pet peeves about audiobooks (albeit generally)

• retrieval4558@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion are both very good. I’ve heard very mixed things about the 3rd and 4th books, so I skipped those.

• negativeyoda@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Endymion and Rise is Endymion were both great in my opinion.

Simmons is kind of a one trick pony tho, so it’s more of the same shit: things are happening and there’s this precocious character who has to explain everything explicitly to the reader, etc. I still think they’re worth reading. Illium and Olympos sucked and were essentially the same jarring non narrative that’s supposed to come together with the same sorts of characters and literary riffing (ie, elements from other genres and styles as well as Shakespeare, Greek mythology, etc.)

Unfortunately Simmons revealed himself to be outspoken with his regressive politics, so it’s kind of a bumout that Hyperion was a book that I enjoyed so much.