link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I’ll never understand these articles… Like, sure, that’s cool? Kind of like saying you can run Doom on a fridge.

I’m not going to play Doom on the fridge tho, and I’m not playing Portal RTX on my Steam Deck.

I guess for people that only have a deck for gaming this is more relevant, but still, why force ray tracing on a low power device??

Also Portal RTX changed some textures (like the portals) for some reason, I’d rather play the original instead.

• lastlighthousekeeper
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

You answered your own question: it’s for people who only have a deck for gaming. And the comparison to doom on a fridge doesn’t really hold, as the steam deck is designed for gaming.

• Sneezycat@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Fair enough, I’ll just recommend them to go play the original at 60 fps and native resolution :P

• Mango@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Do you think it has to be about you? It’s not about you.

I’M gonna play Doom on your fridge.

• zaphod@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I guess for people that only have a deck for gaming

Given it’s primarily sold as a gaming device, I find it very odd that you frame this as the exception rather than the rule.

• Sneezycat@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

People whose only gaming device is a deck, not people that have a deck only for gaming :'D I’d use my computer instead for intensive graphics.

• trslim@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

While raytracing is kind of neat, and this is kind of neat, I don’t really get the hype around it. I mean, there are options to make a game’s lighting look like 90% as good as raytracing, and not require obscene amounts of power. It’s kind of how I feel about really high res textures. Sure, it looks nice if you really stare at is, but 99% of the time, half the texture res is going to look almost just as good, save tons of space and gpu power.

I guess what I’m really saying is, art style is far more important than actual graphical fidelity. Elite Dangerous looks far better than Starfield.

• conciselyverbose@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

It’s not about “staring at it”.

The difference in motion is night and day. There is nothing remotely comparable to ray tracing and no path forward for image quality that isn’t ray/path tracing.

• LarmyOfLone@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Imho it should really be about global illumination and better and dynamic approximations for it. It’s like a switch that makes environment believable and beautiful. Lighting is the main aesthetic element of architecture (just my opinion).

• Grass@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

But can it do it on any games I haven’t played multiple times already? Was there any mention of fps hit and if it is worthwhile?