• rustydomino@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

The upfront cost is definitely higher but I think it’s possible to price an entry level EV that is perhaps just slightly more expensive than an entry level ICE vehicle but is cost effective when TCO is taken into account. At least that’s the hope.

• smoothbrain coldtakes@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Yeah but they’re not priced slightly higher, they’re priced exponentially higher.

I can’t afford a Tesla, even if it’d save me money on gas. It may be cheaper to own with a TCO calculation but I was able to purchase my vehicle outright. I would have to take out a loan and do financing if I were to want to purchase an EV. I may pay more overall for the life of the car in gasoline, but ultimately that is an expense that’s amortized over time, and doesn’t have an interest rate attached to it.

I don’t like leasing or financing. I find it to be a waste of money. I would rather generally wait and save up than amortize a cost with an interest rate. Canada’s interest rates are incredibly high right now due to recessive market forces.

• rustydomino@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I agree the pricing (and kinds of entry level models) are not yet available. But that’s the dream!