cake
    OP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I hope they can pull it off.

I also hope that “small” means a Fiesta, but, knowing the US, the smallest I’m expecting is an Escape.

A Maverick EV seems like it could do well.

• Talaraine@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Yeah I would love to see Ford go back and dust off some of those sedan assembly lines. Like, what were they even thinking?

• Admiral Patrick@dubvee.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Yeah. I was so disappointed when they announced they were discontinuing all of their sedans in favor of those obnoxious-looking crossovers that look like, and are only slightly smaller than, the shoe that old lady used to live in.

Edit: As pointed out, I was mistaken and they’re not too much larger than a sedan. I was recalling what I think were Ford’s early concept models.

• TheAlbatross@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

I drove a Ford Edge recently as a rental and Holy fuck it was the worst driving experience I’ve had in a vehicle.

And it has a massive touch screen that was a pain in the ass to operate in lieu of physical controls. Had to fumble around a touch screen to change the climate controls, not great on a highway!

Every SUV needs to be melted into scrap.

• burble@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            cake
            OP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

I think the concept of a crossover is fine (I drive an older one), but the ever-growing boxy hoods and rising beltline make for worse visibility and pedestrian safety. I wish there were more new sedan, hatchback, and station wagon options instead of a vehicle size arms race.

• Admiral Patrick@dubvee.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Fair enough on the size (I recall Ford’s being more SUV-sized, but that may have just been early concepts), but I still think they look like an ugly shoe. There are other makes/models that have similar designs, and I don’t care for them either for the same reason.

• Zipitydew@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Long story. But rumors were potential merger with VW. Or at least, heavy cooperation on platforms.

Currently VW Amarok is a Ford Ranger. Ford is helping VW further with commercial vehicles. In return Ford is getting EV platforms VW was already ahead on developing. Pandemic and other delays messed up product timelines though. To the point Ford decided recently they’d rather not be so dependent on VW.

But for next few years, if Ford releases a small EV, you can pretty much bet it’s a VW MEB chassis underneath.

• Wanderer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Seems a severe lack of estate cars and vans on the roads.

Have everything you need.

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

The weird thing is that gm and Honda were working together to do this too, but they cancelled their partnership last year because it was “too hard to do”.

• ares35@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

translated into ceo-speak: “we make more money selling these big monstrosities, and having a cheaper alternative would cut into that”

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

It’s an absolute fucking travesty that Ford straight up doesn’t sell 4-door cars in the US anymore. I goddamn HATE SUVs and crossovers. They are awful to drive, and they suck to be around, as another driver, a cyclist, or a pedestrian.

• randomaside@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

They called it the Mustang MachE by accident.

Edit: sorry that’s more like a focus. A fiesta would be nice 🙂

• MagicPterodactyl@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

A machE is longer, wider, taller and way heavier than even the most bloated version of the focus. It’s just another lame crossover.

• smoothbrain coldtakes@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

That’s always been my problem with EVs is that they just cost too much money.

If I could have gotten an equivalent electric car to my Mazda 3 for the same price I would have.

• astrsk@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Right. In 2017 I had to buy a car and decided to go new. For $20k I got a hatchback that serves all my needs, even as a fwd vehicle. There isn’t a single EV on the market that comes close to that price, let alone in that form factor.

Edit: I should mention that this sub-compact vehicle has 150hp, 4 doors, and seatbelts for 5 (including driver). It’s an excellent family vehicle that’s very safe and would be a great learner’s car in the future. It’s even mechanically simple and easy to repair. If I could just have this exact car in an EV form that didn’t cost 2.5x as much, I would be happy to upgrade.

• rustydomino@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

The upfront cost is definitely higher but I think it’s possible to price an entry level EV that is perhaps just slightly more expensive than an entry level ICE vehicle but is cost effective when TCO is taken into account. At least that’s the hope.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Yeah but they’re not priced slightly higher, they’re priced exponentially higher.

I can’t afford a Tesla, even if it’d save me money on gas. It may be cheaper to own with a TCO calculation but I was able to purchase my vehicle outright. I would have to take out a loan and do financing if I were to want to purchase an EV. I may pay more overall for the life of the car in gasoline, but ultimately that is an expense that’s amortized over time, and doesn’t have an interest rate attached to it.

I don’t like leasing or financing. I find it to be a waste of money. I would rather generally wait and save up than amortize a cost with an interest rate. Canada’s interest rates are incredibly high right now due to recessive market forces.

• rustydomino@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I agree the pricing (and kinds of entry level models) are not yet available. But that’s the dream!

• proudblond@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

We are financially lucky enough to have been able to buy a model 3 in 2018, and we chose to do so because we wanted to vote with our wallet and express to these auto companies that we value green(er) tech and want it to continue. But we also thought that by signaling that, auto companies would work to make that possible for people who are not as financially lucky as we are. Oops, we forgot we live in a capitalist hellscape.

• DarkGamer@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

This is a good target, small but roomy, useful for commuting. The BMW i3 was essentially this but at a higher price point, it didn’t sell as well as anticipated.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I am also Canadian, so take into account my currency’s value is a little shitty.

I paid 38k CAD for my Mazda 3 Sport with AWD. That figure is probably closer to around 30k USD. For that price I could have gotten a Hyundai Kona, but there’s no way I would have been able to afford a 45k USD BMW. The Kona is also closer to the hatchback form factor as a crossover, but it looks like it’d ride too high for my liking.

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Ford had an EV strategy?

Cuz churning out an expensive luxury ev truck ain’t it, boss.

• Nougat@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Apparently, Ford’s EV strategy included ending production on anything smaller than an SUV.