link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

No, this is real.

I was looking into this story a little bit ago and ultimately passed on it, as I think I saw some references to the owl as a pet, but I couldn’t confirm.

Some owls need to live with people in a resident care environment, and that is cool. An owl just to have an owl is a grey area to me, so I stay away from that, as I tend to lean to education and rescue with my platform here.

There are places where one could have a pet owl or go to an owl cafe, etc, but I have conflicted feeling overall about less than well regulated care of wild animals.

Bored Panda has a quick summary and big photo list and a link to the person’s Facebook if you want more.

No issues with the posting of this in general though.

• anon6789@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Just realized I replied to aww instead of the Superbowl cross-post, so my reply may have sounded a tad snooty out of the context there.

No snootiness was inteded!

• God_Is_Love@reddthat.comOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I didn’t know a lot of this, thank you for explaining! I wasn’t aware of the background at all beyond seeing the cute pictures haha

• anon6789@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Of course! And I don’t want anyone to feel bad or anything like that for enjoying the pics. I enjoy them too. They are super cute.

In researching owls for you guys every day though, I also read way more unfortunate stories than I’d like, and things like this, animal cafes, circuses, private zoos, and just plain keeping wild animals as “pets” or using them as props or parts of costumes are important things to discuss, but since this group of ours is mainly for fun, I’m not sure if this is the right venue for discussing and debating these things.

I just want to know for myself that whatever I share is both factual and that the animal is being properly cared for if it’s captive or left be if it’s wild. And all you guys really seem to care about them as well, so I want you all to be able to make informed decisions as well.

So again, no issues with anyone enjoying the pics of this owl, but I think it’s important everyone knows this is a real owl entrusted to a person’s care.