Hey everyone,

I’m a complete beginner in the world of soldering, and I’m facing some frustrating issues with my soldering iron tips. After just a few minutes of use, my soldering iron tips can’t melt the solder anymore.

I always keep a sponge nearby and make sure to clean the tip frequently, just like I saw in tutorials. However, the tips still look a little “burned”/ black. Am I doing something wrong? Or could it be related to the soldering equipment I’m using? I bought a $20 kit on Amazon just to practice.

• nottheengineer@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Probably the equipment or maybe how you’re touching the part you want to heat.

Take a look at this video where Louis Rossmann explains which tips works and which ones don’t and shows why.

• codiefz@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Thanks for sharing! Literally one minute into the video, and he says that the tips I’ve been using so far suck lol

• Rolivers
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Those wet solder sponges cause a thermal shock every time you wipe the tip. I recommend using brass windings instead. They also won’t completely wipe the solder off the tip either.

You always want a small layer of solder on your tip at all times to prevent it from oxidising. Oxidation means bad heat transfer causing soldering to be much more difficult. Also store it with a small blob of solder on it.

You should avoid scraping or sanding the oxidation of the tip. There is a small layer of silver that won’t oxidise so quickly but below that is normal iron. Not sure if that applied to cheaper Chinese irons but it’s better not to learn bad habits. Once you remove the silver layer you’ll get oxidation much more quickly and you’ll have to keep scraping until the tip is gone.

You can remove oxidation with the brass windings much more easily than with a sponge. When you apply solder with flux the rest of the oxidation should come off fairly quickly.

Buying a cheap model to practice is a great idea, when you are used to that you can look into a better iron. I’ve been very happy with the TS100 but the Pinecil is the newer model apparently.

• hardware26
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Sponge may be burning as well. Do you keep the sponge moist?

• SkaveRat
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I recommend getting a brass wire/wool charger. Much better and convenient than using a sponge

• jozo@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

The trick is to keep soldering tip always wet from solder and only clean it just before you solder. Second, always when done soldering and you cool down you soldering iron, melt fresh solder on the soldering tip before it cools down.

• Saigonauticon@voltage.vn
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Hm, that’s an unusual issue! I don’t know off the top of my head, but I’ll ask a few questions that might help diagnose the problem.

What kind of soldering iron are you using? A soldering station, or a dollar store ‘firestarter’? Also the wattage? It should be printed on it somewhere.

What type of solder are you using? It’s electronics solder, right?

You’re not getting molten plastic on the soldering iron tip? That tends to ruin them pretty fast.