Hello!

This is my first post on Lemmy, enjoying it greatly so far. One thing I was wondering is if there’s any option in the web UI to increase the width of the main feed?

I got very used to the layout of old.reddit.com, wouldn’t mind having it here.

Otherwise, no big deal at all. Thank you to everyone who supports Lemmy and helped make this happen!

• hydra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I also second this, I quite like Kbin’s tightness myself. Could be an optional theme for the web app but I understand the Lemmy devs are busy fixing the issues that were unearthed by the population explosion. However this could be arguably classified as a more general Lemmy issue rather than a lemmy.world issue which this community is for

• Targo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I definitely second this, being able to fit more on the screen would be incredible.

• rarkgrames@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

The thing is this isn’t Reddit. I have seen a few posts relating to how Lemmy doesn’t work / look like Reddit and honestly, I don’t think it should.

I’m all for Lemmy utilising screen space effectively but please, let’s not feel it has to be a clone of Reddit. I kind of feel that if Lemmy was to look like Reddit then a lot of the toxicity from there would end up leeching over here and i honestly hope this community can be a better place for us all.

If I’ve misunderstood your post apologies.

• Briongloid@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’d be interesting if we got something similar to RES, but it’s probably unlikely unless there isn’t that much different between lemmy instances.

• Pisck@lemmy.world@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Given that lemmy is FOSS, it would be preferable and even make more sense to make contributions to the source code that allow desired settings than to develop extensions.

• Synthaxx@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Still would like it to just use the width of the window though.
      I know that it’s become a popular “style” for some reson, but it wastes SO much space. Especially on wider/higher res monitors.