• mondoman712@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

And everything is measured by volume. Just tell me the amount of salt I need in grams and I don’t have to worry about if it’s kosher or not.

• Unseeliefae@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

You technically only need kosher salt if the recipe involves some of kind of fermentation or yeast rise, because the iodine in non-kosher salt will kill the yeast before it can rise.

• mondoman712@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

But every recipe from the US uses kosher salt, which means their measurements don’t match for other salts, but if they gave the weight it wouldn’t be an issue. 5g of salt is 5g of salt no matter the size of the crystals, but one teaspoon can be totally different.

• Coreidan@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

That’s why making a preferment like poolish is a superior method for any bread recipe. You only add salt once the poolish has finished the leavening process.

• Saneless@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Sure it is

You can teaspoon the shit out of everything. 3tsp to a table. 5ml to 15ml. Cut recipes by turning everything into a tablespoon. Need to make 1/2 of something that is already 1/4 cup? That’s 16 tbsp to a cup, so you were at 4, now half a 1/4 cup is simply 2 tbsp

For dry shit, get a gram scale and welcome to consistency city

• Saneless@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Google assistant has gotten worse and worse but “Hey Google, how many tablespoons are in x” is pretty helpful

• Saneless@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Does that plug into assistant speakers?

I’m not a massive fan of it but hands free cooking questions are nice. I use DDG for my browser search

• Fonzie!@ttrpg.network
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

I’m sure some open hardware hacker could get DuckDuckGo or qalc to work through their home-soldered voice-controlled assistant.

But other than that, no. For what it’s worth, I spend 2 to 3 seconds for each conversion through the terminal when preparing a recipe, or about 15 seconds unlocking my phone and looking it up in DDG on the spot

• nomadjoanne@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Right? Cooking is the single area where the American system makes sense. Much more intuitive and you don’t need a kitchen scale.

• atyaz@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Using volume is imprecise no matter what units you’re using. Not a big deal for cooking, but for baking, you definitely should use a scale.

• Saneless@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Cooking is an art. Baking is a science

I was with someone who eyeballed it. Worked out for a skillet. Then she tried to make bread one night. I warned her but it did not go well