• notacat@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I do find cooking easier in grams. Just put the bowl on the scale and add ingredients until it hits the number. No measuring cups to wash. But it would life changing if woodworking switched to metric. Doing any sort of exact math is annoying as hell. What is 12’7” divided by 4? How many 1/8” is 0.55 inches?? It is my own personal hell.

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s also a lot easier to multiply and divide recipes if you switch it over to metric. This is particularly useful if you don’t have enough of one ingredient and need to reduce the others by that ratio.

Then there’s the ability to measure the ingredient directly out of the container, using any scoop you can find, rather than needing multiple sets of measuring spoons.

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Say you have a recipe that takes three eggs but you only have two. Do you wanna do the math on what 2/3 of one cup is actually?

• gordon@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Ummm… It’s 2/3 cup, and that is a standard measurement. But maybe that wasn’t the best example. Let’s say 2/3 of 1/4 cup. Well that’s 2/12 or 1/6 cup which is far from common. However a cup is 48 tsp, so 1/6 cup is 8 tsp.

I mean it’s dumb as hell but it does work.

The Metric system is easier though.

• Lemon1095@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

It’s like when the crazy guy says it’s easy and then pulls out a pinboard with pictures and string connecting them and proceeds to explain how it makes sense in his head and you have to admit that you sort of follow but also can’t believe what you’re hearing is reality.

• gordon@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

The thing that drives me bonkers is that ounces is both a volume and mass measurement, and they aren’t the same for water.

• bloodfart@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                11 months ago

You can just say you don’t know fractions.

It’s okay.

They used to give out a little conversion rotary slide rule at trade shows. Pretty nice tech, two circles of cardboard pop riveted together in the center, on the top one the units are written on a series of rings, smallest on the outside, biggest on the inside, there’s a cutout along the radius so you can see the numbers written on the bottom one. Spin the bottom one so the unit you know is showing and the one you want will be right there.

I bet they still make em.

• Instigate@aussie.zone
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

As a previous hardware store employee in Australia I can confirm we were given these as well, as a lot of our tooling is still in imperial measurements - particularly bits, tools, fasteners and the like. I think my old one is still lying around in a box in the garage somewhere…

• RoquetteQueen@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Sometimes I buy liquid eggs in a carton if I need a lot of eggs for one recipe and don’t feel like cracking a dozen eggs. One large egg is about 50g, so 0.8 metric eggs is about 40g.

• AnUnusualRelic@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

A metric egg is a little over 50 grams. You typically get a bit over 30 grams of white, 20 grams of yolk and 5-ish grams of shell.

• Dave@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I do find cooking easier in grams. Just put the bowl on the scale and add ingredients until it hits the number. No measuring cups to wash.

Uh, you know metric has volume measurements as well, and Imperial has weight measurements? Measuring cup vs scales is not really a difference in metric and imperial.

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Directions and nutrition information and other stuff like that tend to use mass for metric and volume for imperial. Yeah, you can convert stuff, but it’s annoying.

• Classy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I get around it by just working in inches entirely. If some guy needs the foot-and-inch measurement I’ll convert but generally calling for something to be 97 5/8" is sufficient, without needing to add feet into the equation.

I do agree that metric would be interesting. I have a metric tape measure I use when I am practicing botany so I can work on familiarizing myself with common metric distances like 10/100cm

• jg1i@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I was born in the US and have switched by myself. My brother thought I was weird until one day we went to the hardware store.

I needed to buy a 15/64 in drill bit, but they didn’t have it. So then we thought, fine, maybe we can use the next closest size…

Except WTF is the next size up or down from 15/64??!!! Neither of us could figure it out. Internet wasn’t great. Sales people didn’t know. We left because we weren’t sure what to buy.

In metric, it’s trivial. 5mm drill bit, 4mm is smaller, 6mm is bigger.

After this, he stopped thinking I was a weirdo for using metric measurements. But he still uses imperial because murica.

Also, interesting, I learned that he thinks imperial units were invented by the US. I told him they were British units and I stopped caring about British units in 1776, but he didn’t seem to believe me.

• cantsurf@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

16/64 is 1/4. Your next size up is a quarter inch. Is it intuitive? Maybe not. Is it really that hard? Only if your educational institutions have also failed you.

• grandkaiser@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Except WTF is the next size up or down from 15/64??!!!

There’s lots of great reasons to switch to metric. Inability to do basic fractions isn’t one of them…

For the record, it would be 16/64, or, 1/4

• grue@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

For the record, it would be 16/64, or, 1/4

Nope! It’d be 6mm, then B gauge (6.045mm), then 1/4" (6.350mm). And that’s not including things like over/under reamers and such.

(Sorry, I’ve been watching too much Blondihacks lately.)

• explodicle@local106.com
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Everyone has trouble with something that’s basic for someone else - we just have different skills. If these fractions are too confusing for a significant minority of people, then that’s a good reason to switch from fractional to decimal.

• grandkaiser@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Except In this specific case, it’s about measurements for tools. Fractional is far more practical for construction than decimal for tooling.

• Stuka@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

But somehow the brother is convinced, despite the fact that they left the hardware store without the bit they needed!

• explodicle@local106.com
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

To be fair the modern USA is imperialist, we just don’t call it that because imperialism is no longer considered a good thing.

• Esjee@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

We went from posting Twitter screenshots as memes to posting reddit screenshots as memes

• BonesOfTheMoon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

It’s so nice the US and Liberia are the only two countries to share both Ebola AND the imperial system. They’re buddy buddy.

• Fonzie!@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

TBF in practice a lot of countries use the imperial system, from Canada to the UK to Jamaica to the Philippines. They just “use metric” on paper.

Also, here in the Netherlands we use inches for screen sizes and cups for some cooking recipes. I will insist that my monitor is 55cm and even tech people ask me how much that is with full sincerity.

• Fonzie!@ttrpg.network
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I noticed some Canadians seem to use metric exclusively, while others very much use imperial systems through and through. Android defaults to imperial systems when it’s set to Canadian English, which confuses me even more but I suppose imperial must be used a lot, then

• Catweazle@social.vivaldi.net
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

@lord_ryvan @BonesOfTheMoon, I don’t understand how it can be in the 21st century that a system as idiotic and archaic as the imperial one continues to be used. NASA has already caused millions of dollars in damage by crashing several probes due to miscalculations with these outdated and devoid of any logic measurements, based on parts of the body of a king, dead centuries ago instead of clear physical and mathematical units as in the rest of the world.

• Fonzie!@ttrpg.network
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

I also don’t get it and my country is slowly adapting it too (Netherlands)

I absolutely hate it and try to counter it actively

• BonesOfTheMoon@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I find stuff like cups and spoons and pounds and inches are used here more than metric, but we definitely use kilometers only.

• Fonzie!@ttrpg.network
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Android lied to me

Maybe it’s a plot by the Australian government because it led me to set all my devices to Australian English; they’re always 100% metric

• Lemminary@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

We use 24 h format here where I live but we speak in 12 h format because it’s less awkward. Not all that shines is gold, I guess

• Fonzie!@ttrpg.network
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I use 24h in speech, it trips up some people a little but they all understand and I’ve gotten a few to switch!

My native language is Dutch, but I to give an example I say “vijftien uur” for 15:00 / 3pm and “vijtien uur dertig” for 15:30 / 3:30pm. My closest English equivalents would be “fifteen oʼclocm” and “fifteen thirty”, really.

My point is, make the tiniest possible step, only replace the number of the hour with the 24h variant and drop the am/pm part.

• PenguinLover@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

If we are doing this, shouldn’t we go straight to Kelvin? So we no longer have to deal with negative temperatures

• MeshPotato@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Didn’t you see the meme: “There are 2 types of countries, those that ise the metric system and those that landed on the moon.”?

It’s also usually shared by the same idiots that don’t realise that barley corn is an actual measurement in their beloved imperial system.

Ask any of these smart arses how barley corns are in a foot or how many feet are in a mile and suddenly you hear excuses. Not to forget that the inch defined by the meter.

• Lizardking27@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

I’m not sure what your point is? Some people not knowing a certain obscure unit of measurement doesn’t discount an entire system of measurements. Also your mile example doesn’t make sense because most people do know how many feet are in a mile.

• MeshPotato@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

You’re proving my point exactly. The imperial system is so convoluted that even people that INSIST that EVERYONE should use it, don’t understand its units.

Just because most people don’t have to deal with a certain conversion, doesn’t mean that none do. There are enough engineers that design stuff which is related to problems on these variations in scale. They waste hours in productivity in needlessly complicated conversions (because fractions). Not to mention the mistakes that get introduced like the famous Mars lander that crashed because of imperial unit conversions.

Not only are the units incredibly inconsistent, you also have the issue that Brits and boat people use variation of some of the same units. US Gallons vs British Gallons, mile vs nautical mile. MPH, vs knots. That barley corn that Holzkohlen mentioned defines shoe sizes, unless of course, you don’t wear shoes.

• Lizardking27@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

You have no point to prove! You’re just ranting like a crazy person about stuff no one’s heard of that doesn’t even matter!

• TheKingBee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’d heard of that before so after a quick google America passed the Metric Conversion Act in 1975 then in 1982 the Metric Board was abolished by President Ronald Reagan…

So like the harbinger of doom for American progress he was Regan killed it…

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

We actually got rid of that in Denmark recently, but in a pretty foolish way: our time is now locked in on daylight savings time rather than the original unmodified time.

Probably gonna mean some dark mornings when the times come and we don’t switch back, which’ll suck for those of us who have a hard time getting out of bed before the sun’s up…

• mondoman712@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

And everything is measured by volume. Just tell me the amount of salt I need in grams and I don’t have to worry about if it’s kosher or not.

• Unseeliefae@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

You technically only need kosher salt if the recipe involves some of kind of fermentation or yeast rise, because the iodine in non-kosher salt will kill the yeast before it can rise.

• mondoman712@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

But every recipe from the US uses kosher salt, which means their measurements don’t match for other salts, but if they gave the weight it wouldn’t be an issue. 5g of salt is 5g of salt no matter the size of the crystals, but one teaspoon can be totally different.

• Coreidan@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

That’s why making a preferment like poolish is a superior method for any bread recipe. You only add salt once the poolish has finished the leavening process.

• Saneless@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Sure it is

You can teaspoon the shit out of everything. 3tsp to a table. 5ml to 15ml. Cut recipes by turning everything into a tablespoon. Need to make 1/2 of something that is already 1/4 cup? That’s 16 tbsp to a cup, so you were at 4, now half a 1/4 cup is simply 2 tbsp

For dry shit, get a gram scale and welcome to consistency city

• Saneless@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Google assistant has gotten worse and worse but “Hey Google, how many tablespoons are in x” is pretty helpful

• Saneless@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Does that plug into assistant speakers?

I’m not a massive fan of it but hands free cooking questions are nice. I use DDG for my browser search

• Fonzie!@ttrpg.network
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

I’m sure some open hardware hacker could get DuckDuckGo or qalc to work through their home-soldered voice-controlled assistant.

But other than that, no. For what it’s worth, I spend 2 to 3 seconds for each conversion through the terminal when preparing a recipe, or about 15 seconds unlocking my phone and looking it up in DDG on the spot

• nomadjoanne@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Right? Cooking is the single area where the American system makes sense. Much more intuitive and you don’t need a kitchen scale.

• atyaz@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Using volume is imprecise no matter what units you’re using. Not a big deal for cooking, but for baking, you definitely should use a scale.

• Saneless@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Cooking is an art. Baking is a science

I was with someone who eyeballed it. Worked out for a skillet. Then she tried to make bread one night. I warned her but it did not go well

• foggy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

tespoons? That’s what tsp means?

Yeah what’d you think it meant, Eugene?

…ten square pounds?

Calzone explodes

Jazz music intensifies

• SeaJ@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I personally fucking hate ounces. Recipes could mean volume or weight.