• TheBaldFox@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

God I hope that this is the case that changes federal statutes on drugs and gun ownership… The irony that it would both be Joe Biden’s son and administration that made it happen would be delicious.

• sudo22@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Biden Jr’s plea fell apart. Meaning he is facing felon gun charges once again. Charges which he said he would fight using 2A grounds.

This could possibly set precedent that benefits gun owners more broadly.

• borkcorkedforks@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It would be interesting if there was a X v Biden case to cite in favor of gun rights.

It seems like on paper drug use is still a felony and lying on the background check form is also something people can get charged over. Should we end the war on drugs and legalized things federally? Sure, but thats not what the law is right now.

If anything it seems like the question is more of a 5th amendment issue unless they want to argue there shouldn’t be background checks. Really it feels like people should be able to fill out the personal info and get the check done without answering other questions. Isn’t the NICS supposed to verify all the important things anyway?

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

This is an interesting case since it’s federal. We all know a certain ex-president would just pardon his son and retaliate against everyone involved in the case.

• Jah348@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Odd that the tax crime and the gun crime(s) are being put together in such a fashion but I suppose that’s how plea bargains work. Or maybe courts in general, I’m not versed enough on the matter. Either way this becomes convoluted for the layman.