• AlternatePersonMan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

They are already openly corrupt. Term limits would result in younger candidates in touch with this century. Lobbyists would also have to bribe new people. It might also break up the ridiculous 100% party voting.

Not to mention help with our Supreme Court problems. Randomly giving appointments that last decades to whoever is president in at the time is insane.

I really don’t think we have that many competent elected officials anyway.

Yes, eliminating gerrymandering and citizens united would be more effective, but I wouldn’t kick term limits out of bed.

• torknorggren@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

We have term limits in Florida. They have done nothing to solve any problems, and arguably have made the quality of our officials worse, while giving much more power to lobbyists.

• asclepias@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

None of that has happened in the states that have term limits. If you think Republicans, no matter how long they have been in office, are going to start putting anyone other than Federalist Society drones on the courts, I’m not sure I can have a good faith argument with you.

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Term limits are as likely as ranked-choice voting, which would also solve a lot of problems but won’t be passed in a significant way in my lifetime

• AlternatePersonMan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

They actually just passed ranked choice voting in my city.

It does seem crazy to have a system where 49% of people preferred the other guy, but he lost so those people now get zero representation.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Term limits would result in younger candidates in touch with this century.

Yes cuz that’s worked so well in places that already have them…

• phillaholic@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Lobbyists would also have to bribe new people.

No they’d hand pick them, run them on utter lies that they can’t be challenged, then throw them out when the public wises up. You seriously underestimate how far the power dynamic can swing.