Trump’s legal team also tried to throw cold water on the idea in a filing earlier this week, writing that the “events of January 6 were not an ‘insurrection’ as they did not involve an organized attempt to overthrow or resist the U.S. government.”

Trump disagrees, apparently.

“They kept saying about what I said right after the insurrection,” he said outside Mar-a-Lago after arguments concluded in Washington, D.C. “I think it was an insurrection caused by Nancy Pelosi.

• suction@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Right, but you implicitly said that they both don’t deserve the vote. So as a non-American, I fear that US citizens like you still haven’t grasped that their duty is to vote against Trump at all costs, no matter if the other option is a loaf of bread.

• Cosmic Cleric@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

I fear that US citizens like you still haven’t grasped that their duty is to vote against Trump at all costs, no matter how old the other candidate is.

The problem with that mindset is that you can be maneuvered by the party into having to do that over and over again, having your free will right (that other citizens have died for you to have it) of choice of who to vote for taken away from you.

I’m a lifelong democrat, but as an American I cannot in good conscious vote for either of them.

The responsibility is for my party to put someone up who I can vote for, and not for me to support the party no matter what.

• Cosmic Cleric@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Then you’ll have the next Holocaust on your conscience.

Nope, that’ll be on the Democratic party, for not offering alternatives to vote for. They have the responsibility.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Right, but you implicitly said that they both don’t deserve the vote.

Well let me explicitly state that they don’t. Unfortunately these remain the shitty choices that exist. That doesn’t mean you bury your fuckin head in the sand and deny deny deny when you see something wrong.

I fear that US citizens like you still haven’t grasped that their duty is to vote against Trump at all costs

What makes you think I’m a US citizen?

no matter how old the other candidate is.

We weren’t discussing age, we were discussing mental fitness.

• suction@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

You’re being silly and dumb that’s how I figured you’re living in the U.S.