Trump’s legal team also tried to throw cold water on the idea in a filing earlier this week, writing that the “events of January 6 were not an ‘insurrection’ as they did not involve an organized attempt to overthrow or resist the U.S. government.”

Trump disagrees, apparently.

“They kept saying about what I said right after the insurrection,” he said outside Mar-a-Lago after arguments concluded in Washington, D.C. “I think it was an insurrection caused by Nancy Pelosi.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

We should, because it’s the brain that has to beat Trump. We don’t have any better options, unfortunately.

• fitgse@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I really thought in 2016 Bernie would splinter the democrats and we’d have a true left party. I also thought trump would create a new party on the right and the republicans would go back to being republicans. Can you imagine a 4 party system!

To my surprise, the trump dragged the republicans even further to the right, and the democrats moved even more center-right to appease ex-republicans. So the whole nation just moved right, which is sad.

• Neato@ttrpg.network
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

What better options? What names are well known to people? What people that are well known can overcome incumbency bias? Do any have literal decades of experience in congress and the white house?

I would have preferred Bernie but throwing out names only a small percentage of the electorate will know is a fools gamble. And the DNC using marketing to get them well know would have been a huge waste of times and resources to build someone up when there’s already a good candidate sitting in the oval office. You’re not going to throw out a sitting President unless he’s WILDLY unpopular.

• dohpaz42@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

Barack Obama wasn’t very well known when he ran for president t. And he won twice.

I think the point is that both the Dems and GOP are pigeon-holing themselves by only allowing one candidate to run. Why does it have to be that way? So what if there are 10 dems and 22 GOP to choose from? Or whatever.

Make them actually have to work for it and let the American people decide. Scrap the first past the post rule and ditch the electoral college. Give the people their voices back. The way it works right now does not work. It’s high time everyone just admits to it.

• Eatspancakes84@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

He is wildly unpopular. A majority of Americans thinks he is too old to be an effective president. This has nothing to do with his record, but with the simple biological fact that our minds decay as we reach our 80s.

For that same reason Trump is a terrible candidate as well, and I actually am not worried that a younger candidate with some name recognition will be able to defeat him. I am much more worried about Biden.

• bbbbbbbbbbb@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

Gather every D senator and congressman into a giant circle and toss a stone into the air. Whoever it hits is likely better.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

Granted, the odds are in your favor, but there are definitely some much worse options in that crowd.

Are any of them running? Actually, forget that. Anyone currently running is probably a moron.

Do they have the name recognition and wide appeal? Can they raise the money and give a good speech? Can they argue with a madman and win? Are any of them leaders, and if so, where the fuck have they been?

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

A friend of mine suggested Michelle Obama and I was like… That could actually have been a realistic option 🤔

• TengoDosVacas@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

No it absolutely could not. She doesnt want it and this is a racist and misogynist country. The GOP literally believes she’s a trans dude and their media tells them that every day.

Stop trying to make MO happen. It’s not gonna happen.

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                5 months ago

It’s not as if any Democrat candidate was going to be sold as being great to the Republicans by their media so I don’t know why you think that’s an argument…

The US has already elected a black president twice so I guess the racists don’t win overall? She’s also seen in a much better light than Hillary Clinton, I do think a woman could have won 2016 if she had been not-Clinton.

• TengoDosVacas@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  5 months ago

Obama is a reaction to Bush and Iraq. Biden is a reaction to trump and fascism. Obama got shellaced in 2010. Democrats still do not control the Senate. Nothing has been the win you think it is.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

I would vote for him for anything, but he doesn’t want the job, and he isn’t running. Those are two important prerequisites to voting for the guy.

• Daft_ish@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Our system rewards fund raisers. Why is it someone who able to raise money should run the country, I don’t know. Just how it is set up.

• BossDj@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Maybe he decides to step down. I think the people are pretty well set on voting either Trump or [person against Trump]

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

Nah, I don’t think Harris has the charisma to rally the party. Biden needs to survive the election, and then he can step down after beating Trump if needed.

Don’t get me wrong, I will vote for just about anybody over Trump, but I think it’s going to be a close race.

• Nudding@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

Everyone rally around the genocide, record oil extraction and arming of the border! Congratulations you saved America from Trump! Lol.

• Nudding@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Sounds like y’all need to start over if this is the pinnacle of 250 years of political evolution.

• dQw4w9WgXcQ@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I know this is nothing remotely new, but I feel like it’s justified to keep repeating it:

US elections is a shitshow.

• Cosmic Cleric@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

but I feel like it’s justified to keep repeating it:

US elections is a shitshow.

Apologies for being that guy, but just a FYI, only because you keep repeating it, it should be US elections are a shitshow, not ‘is’.

• dQw4w9WgXcQ@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Honestly, that’s quite intriguing to me. I had originally written “politics” but decided to change it. Would that make a difference, or would it still be “are”? Also, I find it abit strange to use “[plural noun] are a [singular noun]”, but maybe this is just me repeating it too much, making it sound weird.

• ColeSloth
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I’m worried about both. Neither should be president. Trump never should have been. Having 70 and 80+ year old presidents that couldn’t program a damned TV remote is just a showcase of how terrible our plutocracy has become.

• suction@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

You know, as long as you “both sides” a battle between fascism and not fascism, I’ll mark you down as being on the side of fascism.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

LOL you can mark me down as whatever you want if it makes you feel better but it’s not going to make this idiot anymore mentally stable.

People like you are why we’re in this mess in the first place.

• suction@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

And your argument is that we shouldn’t vote against(!) Hitler because the other candidate isn’t great, either. I think people like you are why we’ll be in a situation where this mess will look like paradise.

• suction@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                5 months ago

Right, but you implicitly said that they both don’t deserve the vote. So as a non-American, I fear that US citizens like you still haven’t grasped that their duty is to vote against Trump at all costs, no matter if the other option is a loaf of bread.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  5 months ago

I fear that US citizens like you still haven’t grasped that their duty is to vote against Trump at all costs, no matter how old the other candidate is.

The problem with that mindset is that you can be maneuvered by the party into having to do that over and over again, having your free will right (that other citizens have died for you to have it) of choice of who to vote for taken away from you.

I’m a lifelong democrat, but as an American I cannot in good conscious vote for either of them.

The responsibility is for my party to put someone up who I can vote for, and not for me to support the party no matter what.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  5 months ago

Right, but you implicitly said that they both don’t deserve the vote.

Well let me explicitly state that they don’t. Unfortunately these remain the shitty choices that exist. That doesn’t mean you bury your fuckin head in the sand and deny deny deny when you see something wrong.

I fear that US citizens like you still haven’t grasped that their duty is to vote against Trump at all costs

What makes you think I’m a US citizen?

no matter how old the other candidate is.

We weren’t discussing age, we were discussing mental fitness.

• BumpingFuglies@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Yes, because he’s currently the president. There are more important things than some has-been Cheeto monster shouting at clouds, like the genocide the current sitting president is actively abetting.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

Yeah, that’s definitely what I meant. I’d love another four years of Trump. /s

How 'bout you just vote for the candidate that might put more than lip service towards stopping this generation’s Li’l Hitler? Here’s a hint: you won’t find them in either of the major parties.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

He trolls every thread

Says the person with over 3 times as many comments as me.

A quick look in my history shows this is the second thread I’ve ever participated in in this community. Why lie? How do you benefit? Lemmy has no account Karma. Do you get some sort of satisfaction out of riling up the other dummies against the common enemy of nuance and understanding? Or are you just so offended by non-extremists invading your echo chamber that you have to lash out?

The world isn’t black and white. There are at least 50 shades of gray. Probably more. You should try taking off your cool-guy sunglasses and looking around unfiltered. You might like what you see.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              5 months ago

That’s not my job. My job as a citizen is to vote for the candidate I believe deserves the position, regardless of party affiliation.

The only reason Democrats and Republicans rose to the top is thay they once held the most generic, inoffensive views that people from the less popular “third” parties could support when it eventually became clear they didn’t have chance at winning. That’s no longer the case, so why continue voting like it is? Change has to start somewhere, and it sure as hell isn’t going to come from someone who benefits from maintaining the status quo.

If everybody voted with hope and optimism rather than despair and cynicism, we might have more variety than blue dick vs red asshole.

• UmeU@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 months ago

I am curious… do you think that there is any realistic chance that someone other than the two main candidates will win the upcoming election?

Wouldn’t you agree that this ‘change’ of being able to vote for a candidate who both deserves the position and also actually has a chance of winning, is not going to happen this year regardless of how you vote?

Unless something major happens very soon, it’s going to be one or the other. Most voters are not happy with this reality, particularly Biden voters, but this is the reality we find ourselves in.

I am happy to hear you express a desire to end the genocide and destruction of Palestine. A large portion of Biden voters agree with you on that point.

Other than his age and his ‘soft on Israel’ position, I happen to think Biden has done a decent job. But let’s assume I am wrong and he has done a terrible job. Would he be worse than trump? Would trump be worse?

Would you agree or disagree that, like it or not, we are in a ‘lesser of two evils’ situation?

Here is your chance to prove that you are not just a troll. These are genuine question which I hope you will answer honestly, however you may truly feel.

If you prefer trump, just say it, you have the right to your opinions. Pulling the ‘genocide Joe - vote third party’ card comes across as disingenuous, far-right propaganda.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  5 months ago

Sorry, dude, but I don’t feel the need to prove I’m not a far-right provocateur simply because I acknowledge that Joe Biden and his administration are knowingly abetting an active genocide. I cannot in good conscience vote for him or anyone who supports Israel’s aggression. If I thought Trump would actually try to stop it, I’d vote for him, but I know he won’t, so no, I don’t prefer Trump.

I’m normally not a single-issue voter, but there is an immediate risk of an entire culture being wiped out, and while I’m too poor to send any aid myself, if there’s even the tiniest chance that enough people are as done with the left/right, red/blue bullshit as I am to vote for someone who’ll actually try to help, I have to take that chance, infinitesimal though it may be.

I’d rather live on the false hope of a better world than the false hope of a not-even-worse one. We’re all fucking fucked no matter what we do, so why not hope for the best and act accordingly? Maybe it’ll catch on.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 months ago

That’s not my job. My job as a citizen is to vote for the candidate I believe deserves the position, regardless of party affiliation.

Thank you, citizen.

I get that you are in a downvotes storm right now, but for what it’s worth, you’re right, and I agree with what you’re saying.

It’s the party’s responsibility to put someone up that is capable of doing the job successfully, and have them earn the votes, and not just being coerced into voting for one party for the sake of the country, and then having that repeated again and again.

• YeetPics@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Biden isn’t abetting any genocide harder than Xi though. That guy (Xi) loves genocides and you can’t disagree or you’re propagandized.

• jordanlund@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Well, we do have that well publicized viral tweet from Pelosi where she called all her supporters to DC telling them “Will be wild!” then topped that off by whipping the crowd into a frenzy by telling them they have to “fight like hell”.

Oh, wait, that was Trump…

• klemptor@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I mean, I understand how the law works and everything, but from a very pragmatic perspective, how is there even a soupçon of doubt at this point? Having a trial for this really feels more like we’re asking “which side has craftier lawyers” rather than “did he actually incite an insurrection”. It seems so silly.

(I hope this makes sense, I’m a little high.)

• BleatingZombie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

I don’t understand, but I’m also a little high. So I blame that

That being said, I can’t tell you how excited I am for soupcon this year. I’m going dressed as split-pea

• whoelectroplateuntil@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

There’s no doubt, the rightists on the court want him there and the liberals are terrified of speaking out one this one. The procedural argument they’re using is that “the 14th Amendment delegates this power to Congress, so Colorado doesn’t get to unilaterally decide because they’re bypassing Congress.” Unfortunately for this line of argument, Congress already used its authority to pass a law, 18 U.S.C. § 2383, which states that anybody who engages “in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto” is ineligible for political office.

Since the courts have already sent a variety of participants and organizers to prison for seditious conspiracy, seems pretty reasonable to conclude there have already been findings than Jan 6 was an insurrection or rebellion of some kind, or else it wouldn’t have been seditious. Even more to the point, participants in Jan 6 have already been found ineligible and removed from public office due to their participation in Jan 6. Colorado is simply applying already-existing federal statutes regarding Trump’s eligibility, and more to the point, arguably states that ARE putting him on the ballot are actually the ones flaunting federal law.

• jonne@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I mean, the fact should be established in a trial of some kind before you could exclude someone. Otherwise you’d end up random secretaries of state excluding people they don’t like.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I mean, the fact should be established in a trial of some kind before you could exclude someone. Otherwise you’d end up random secretaries of state excluding people they don’t like.

Was that the case during the Civil War era when that amendment was first created? Or were people just deemed insurrectionists without a trial? Honestly asking.

• jonne@infosec.pub
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

I have no idea, it’s an interesting question. You would assume there would need to be some kind of due process.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              5 months ago

You would assume there would need to be some kind of due process.

If a person has been voted in to make those decisions, makes that decision, that might be all the due process that’s needed.

That’s why I’m asking the question I am, when that Amendment went into a place, did anyone actually have a trial before they were labeled an insurrectionist, or were court judges identifying people as insurrectionists and using that brand new amendment to punish them as such.

• ryper@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

If Nancy Pelosi caused the insurrection why didn’t your people try to charge her instead of focusing on Hunter Biden?

• Heresy_generator@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

The Narcissist’s Prayer

That didn’t happen.
    And if it did, it wasn’t that bad.
    And if it was, that’s not a big deal.
    And if it is, that’s not my fault. <- We are now here
    And if it was, I didn’t mean it.
    And if I did, you deserved it.

• fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Nah, it’s a bit like experiencing the 6 stages of grief - when you list them like denial, anger, bargaining, et cetera… it makes it sounds like they’re going to happen in chronological order. The reality is however that they will all occur simultaneously with the extent of each varying moment to moment.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

He’s on trial for the January 6th insurrection. Specifically: conspiracy to defraud the United States, conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, obstruction of and attempt to obstruct an official proceeding and conspiracy against rights.

The two in the middle are going to be very hard to defend against considering he admits it was an insurrection.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I agree he’s guilty on all charges, but he wasn’t charged with insurrection. He should have been charged with insurrection and seditious conspiracy.

• IHeartBadCode@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

— 18 USC § 2383

If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

— 18 USC § 2384

• HeyThisIsntTheYMCA@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                5 months ago

Sorry, statute of limitations. Been hanging around lawyers too much. Last I googled those sections were unlimited but, you know, Google ain’t CLL.

• Nougat@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I think it was an insurrection caused by Nancy Pelosi.

Those first two words are doing some hard work fending off a slander suit.

• Dkarma@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Colorado needs to throw the middle finger to scotus and keep trump off the general election ballot.
    Roberts has made his decision. Now let him enforce it.

• Billiam@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

So the people who were Antifa and MAGA patriots who went to the Capital to peacefully cause an insurrection that was and wasn’t a false flag setup by the FBI and “globalists” and are going to prison because of the actions they did and didn’t do on Jan 6 were all being led by… Pelosi?

• norbert@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

No need to keep track, just say whatever you want to say in the moment. Your followers don’t care and the media certainly isn’t going to call you on it.

• iamanurd@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

This post is the media calling him on it. The media has been calling him on his lies as long as I remember. The problem is that his supporters don’t care if he lies.

• norbert@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

I suppose, though I’m not sure a lone article in Rolling Stone amounts to much.

I don’t hear the media call him on his lies at all, or when they do it’s in the same breath as reporting some other lie. It’s a huge fucking problem. The media very much plays the game because it gets clicks and views and that = money. Election season has already started, they love it.

That they’re still giving him airtime, reporting on his various trials and statements daily. Voicing his responses to the rulings and accusations, amplifying his messaging. It’s criminal in itself, the rabid rightwing have one thing right, the “mainstream media” is not our friend. They’re corporate owned and are mostly mouthpieces for those corporations.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

We must have been using different news sources over the last 8-9 years. Hell, there are websites dedicated to just counting his number of lies.

I think it is pretty much common knowledge at this point that whenever he opens his mouth, he is lying.

His base doesn’t care and everyone else is used to it, so headlines like “Donald Trump lied again” are pretty redundant. He is still called out in his lies in most articles that I read though. It’s just not the headline anymore.

I definitely wouldn’t say that reporting on the lead candidate being a jackass is criminal, but you do you.

• norbert@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                5 months ago

That link is pay-walled.

I definitely wouldn’t say that reporting on the lead candidate being a jackass is criminal, but you do you.

I’d say giving equal airtime to an insurrectionist fraudster and rapist is pretty borderline. The only time the word Trump is mentioned it should be prefaced by “Proven Criminal and Liar”

edit: here’s a non-paywalled version it’s a pretty thin article from 3 years ago when Cheeto was still pres. If anything it proves my point, they’re still covering all the bullshit he says 3 years later. Stop giving him a platform so his sycophants have to seek out what he says.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  5 months ago

Whatever. I’m not going to argue with a stranger on the internet. Keep your weird beliefs about it being criminal to interview people.

• NaibofTabr@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Yes, but also he loves them and thinks they’re very special.

Does that mean he loves Nanci Pelosi by extension?

• suigenerix@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Yep, and before Pelosi, Trump said it was Nikki Haley who caused it.

Man, I just need Trump to blame Taylor Swift for the whole thing, and then my Insurrection-Bingo card will be full!

• BigMacHole@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

That’s RIGHT! January 6th was OBVIOUSLY an Insurrection plotted by Nancy Pelosi to send FBI and Antifa into the Capitol to STOP the certification of their chosen Candidate because that’s the ONLY way to make Grab Her By The Pussy look BAD! But it also WASN’T an Insurrection and all those people in jail are PRISONERS OF WAR that need to be released! Unless they are Antifa or FBI which they AREN’T even though it was ONLY FBI and Antifa committing the Insurrection that was NOT an Insurrection!

• psycho_driver@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Trump’s legal team also tried to throw cold water on the idea in a filing earlier this week, writing that the “events of January 6 were not an ‘insurrection’ as they did not involve an organized attempt to overthrow or resist the U.S. government.”

Well, they are right on part of that. It definitely wasn’t well organized, just like the entirety of Trump’s presidency. I thank the powers that be on a regular basis that he and his cronies were so incompetent.

• LifeInMultipleChoice@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

It was more organized that most realize I think is the problem, it just went wrong. People were fired, others were hired, reinforcements were re routed, orders were given to not intervene, not to supply aid, defenses, weapons, anything. It is just being lost to time.

• kofe@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

And something to keep in mind is they can learn from it, how it went wrong, if they have the opportunity to try again.

I commented here a while back about how I was pretty sure my dad wouldn’t vote for him again because of this. Had it been a Democrat, he’d be screaming for them to be thrown in the gulags (he was raised/went into the military during the cold war). But when I asked… He said he had faith our institutions could handle it. I asked why he would take that risk and he didn’t have much of an answer

• WarlordSdocy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

At least for most people who answer like that and still support Trump it’s probably cause they know that if the institutions fail and they manage to seize power it’ll be good for them because the people they like are doing it. They don’t want a dictatorship but don’t really care that much as long as it’s a dictator they agree with.

• BradleyUffner@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

It was well organized internally. It was just wrapped in an extra layer of disorganized random people that clung to it as a disguise for plausible deniability.

• Facebones@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

If J6 was all democratic agitators in red hats, why is half of his platform pardoning anybody and everybody with J6 charges? 🤔

• SpaceCowboy@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Because everyone knows that Trump’s supporters are mindless idiots that could easily be influenced to do insane things. What they’re disputing is that is was Trump influencing these people. Maybe Nancy Pelosi (legislative branch) ordered the the FBI (executive branch which was run by Trump at the time) to influence the mindless idiots that support Trump to storm the Capitol to interrupt the formalities involved with recognizing Joe Biden won the election. Any ignorance of how the government is actually structured can be waved away with the term “deep state”.

So we’ve achieved some kind of common ground… at least we all agree that Trump’s supporters are mindless idiots that are easily influenced. Even Trump agrees with that. And therefore even Trump supporters agree that Trump supporters are mindless idiots. Common ground!

The tricky question is: Why would Nancy Pelosi want to interrupt the formalities to declare that Joe Biden won the election? I guess just to make Trump look bad. Which makes sense to Trump because he’s a narcissist. And Trump supporters go along with this because… well you know.

• alekwithak@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

No matter what he says or does we’ll never get him because his fanatics either don’t care or admire it.

• sepi@piefed.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

His stupid mouth is like how Darth Vader was supposed to bring balance to the force in Star Wars Ep. 6