• herrcaptain@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

This happened to me once with an extremely obscure bug in a game that was driving me crazy. I was so happy to find that someone had posted a question about it. Unfortunately, when I clicked on it I discovered that I was the one asking the question two years earlier. There was no fix.

• whodatdair@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I need to find a search engine that shows me these again, every time I search anything now it’s like an excited crack head trying to get me to buy literally anything from them

Google has passed from great to nearly useless

• aksdb@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Then don’t use Google. Duckduckgo is a go-to free alternative. Or pay for Kagi, which feels as good as old google, but with the ability to customize your rankings for domains.

• Spiralvortexisalie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

DDG has been going downhill for me as of late, they sources results from Bing and it seems Microsoft has prioritized their sources first. The worst is news because instead of primary sources it will usually show a mirrored copy hosted by Msft instead.

• titaalik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Kagi is very very nice but at $10 a month it is too expensive for my uses. DuckDuckGo is my alternative when my Kagi subscription of one month runs out.

• Jaybob32@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Try perplexity.ai. it has a paid and free tier. The free tier is good enough for most queries. You just don’t have access to the other models. I think the copilot works for 5 queries and refreshes every couple hours I think. It works very well.

• whodatdair@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

Do you mind me asking, do you pay for the premium? If so do you find it more accurate?

• Jaybob32@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Sorry, I didn’t see the reply. I do pay for premium. I don’t think it’s more accurate, it just gives you more copilot (which is great) and you can switch models, with access to ChatGPT4 and Claude, for instance. Also more file uploads, and I think more options in the Library with custom instructions.

• naticus@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I can do you one better. Several years ago, I was working on a specific driver issue with deploying Windows XP on a couple hundred PC’s and needed help with making my image more universal with some driver packs. Something was breaking and I wasn’t sure what I did wrong.

Looked up in the forums for these driver packs and was trying to get some answers and luckily there were a few threads about it and I looked through them. Saw some rather terse descriptions of how to do it, but finally found a really detailed guide.

Was great to find not only what I needed, but something that gave a well written step by step of the whole process. Not until I finished reading the guide and saw the signature did I realize it was my guide I had written a few years earlier and hadn’t thought of in a long time.

• Jode@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

This used to be how I worked on all cars but these days Google has fucked the results and photobucket has fucked the image hosting.

• 0ops@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Ah man that’s the worst.

“How do I replace thing?”

“The part is located here, make sure to orient it how I’m showing in the picture or your shit will blow up”

[Image no longer available]

“Thanks!”

• Grass@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I miss the days when this was a thing. Now you have to go on discord, search through so much meaningless crap, get rolled back to the top of the search results every time you click one, then get told off for asking a question that has already been answered and pointed to a post that didn’t come up in the search.