Logline

Captain Pike and his crew welcome a Klingon defector aboard the USS Enterprise, but his presence triggers the revelation of some shocking secrets.

Written by Davy Perez

Directed by Jeff Byrd

• Value Subtracted@startrek.websiteOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Re: the transporters.

Patterns in the buffer usually degrade over time - The TNG Technical Manual says patterns can last about seven minutes before degradation begins. Obviously, Scotty was able to extend this dramatically, though with only a 50% success rate.

They did touch on this in SNW season one, when M’Benga said he had to rematerialize his daughter periodically. However, the timeframe, while not specified, seemed a helluva lot longer than seven minutes.

• khaosworks@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The Tech Manual notwithstanding, on screen we’ve definitely seen longer than seven minutes, notably VOY: “Counterpoint” and DIS: “Stormy Weather”. I take it like I do the original Tech Manual’s statement that you can’t fire phasers at warp.

• Value Subtracted@startrek.websiteOPM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

You’re certainly right that there’s some wiggle room, though “Counterpoint” has the advantage of having shown the pattern degradation occurring.

• StillPaisleyCat@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I love the TNG Technical Manual but anything onscreen has to trump it.

I’m much more fussed about rapid organ fabricators and dermal regenerators being a thing this early.

I think we’re going to have to buy into 23rd century technology being ahead of were we expect from TOS - but not necessarily ahead of some of the wild claims (and therapies) Bones had access to in the movies.

• goGetF1@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

For all we know, 24th century transporters have an advantage over the 23rd century design but at the expense of superior pattern storage.