This is for D&D 5e.

I’m currently making a reoccurring antagonist NPC that is a master thief. It’s CR 6 and I want it to be capable of making three attacks per round like multiattack but also have their thief subclass’s enhanced cunning action with fast hands.

This would normally mean they’d get 3 attacks and a varying options for bonus actions, however I’d want them to be able to trade up to three if these attacks to have more uses of cunning action (this would of course stack the ability to dash 4 times per round but I’d just not do that while running the monster). They also have a special once per day ability that I’d want them to be able to swap a single attack for.

It got me thinking, instead of trying to make an unwieldy combination of multiattack, a special action and cunning action, could I just give them three actions?

The simple way this NPC works that I want them to pick 3 options from:

• Dagger
  • Crossbow
  • Special action
  • Dash
  • Disengage
  • Hide
  • Make an ability check
  • Use an object
  • Use a set of tools

At this point, what do I actually lose from letting them take 3 actions? They aren’t a Spellcaster so I’m not worried about them throwing out three fireballs or the like.

• Jeeve65@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

If it’s a recurring villain, I would give them legendary actions which usually do exactly what you describe: it allows to make another attack, or use a feature. It is also not in the same turn, so it would even enhance their sneak attack (assuming they have that, too).

• Khrux@ttrpg.networkOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Thinking about it more, I’m happy not making it all happen in a turn and giving them two legendary actions, however for the sake of versatility, I don’t see an issue with making those legendary actions “The thief takes an action”.