• BaroqueInMind@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

And if they do, nothing of value is lost.

The community in Beehaw are all cool people, but their weird rules and heavy filtering puts me off.

Beehaw admins give me vibes of a power-hungry reddit mods or overbearing parent who thinks they know better than me.

I’ll stick with other instances that allow adults to speak with adult language. I’m sick of the fucking nanny caretaker censoring bullshit that forums tend to eventually become.

• onceuponaban@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I can understand the value of making your community a more tight-knit one with a proactive stance on moderation, that’s how Tildes operate and they’re doing fine. The thing is I’m not sure I understand why, given this goal, Beehaw is part of the Fediverse in the first place, where there isn’t much preventing someone from an outside group coming in. This sounds like a case where a centralized instance makes more sense. Maybe they’re trying to see if such a community can exist on the Fediverse, in which case fair enough, but this seems like an uphill road.

• finder@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

The community in Beehaw are all cool people, but their weird rules and heavy filtering puts me off.

Not surprising. From looking around it seem like they want to turn beehaw into a business they can profit off of in the long run.

https://beehaw.org/post/452132

in the very, very long term, we aspire to become a co-op or similar, as a part of fulfilling our ethos.

• pancakes@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

That’s the beautiful thing about federation though, is that as users we can choose not to subscribe and engage with communities that don’t share our values.

• finder@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That is ignoring that instance owners can decide for their users what instances they can and cannot engage with. Which is fine, it is their server they can manage it how they like. That is not the user deciding how to interact with other instances and communities.

I see the whole federation as a bit of a paradox. Users are allowed and encouraged to interact with other instances and communities as they please. However, if the instance a user belongs to decides to defederate from another instance. Users now have to create another account to keep interacting with that instance. Which kind of defeats the purpose of federation. Now users are forced to create an account for each instance they want to continue interacting with.

• RyanHakurei@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

It would not surprise me if Beehaw admins are some of the Reddit powermods just hedging their bets in case Reddit dies or they get banned.