• neclimdul@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

I want a upvote for sharing, down vote the concept button. I hate it.

As much as I hate it, think it’s a terrible part for a free, open, and secure web; it’s probably a solid business move based on the hype.

• Kilgore Trout@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Votes are meant only to increase or decrease visibility, especially on Lemmy where karma doesn’t exist.

• Armok: God of Blood@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

The “upvote good, downvote bad” mentality needs to die. As others have said, the arrows are to promote/reduce visibility of content. Whether you agree with the content of the post should be irrelevant.

• frezik@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

People have been saying some variant of this at least as far back as Slashdot in the late 90s. Nobody has come up with a viable way to change peoples habits.

Instead of fighting it, what can we do knowing that this is how it works?

• daltotron@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

New idea I’ve just come up with, we make it so, before upvoting or downvoting something, you have to press a button, and then wait at least a minute, or, better yet, solve a captcha, and then you don’t even have to have accounts anymore and that takes about a minute. The only people upvoting or downvoting will be those who are really reflecting on what it is that they’re doing, or the people who are really really committed and pissed off about something. I’m sure the latter won’t happen like, ever.

• agitatedpotato@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

That’s precisely how it’s being used now though. People don’t want things they don’t like to be seen, so they downvote.

• daltotron@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I think maybe that’s exactly how people are using it, it’s just that most people aren’t thinking “oh, well, this post made me a little mad or uncomfy, but I like the content and discussion that it’s spurned, so I’ll toss it an upvote”. I think most people are more inclined to go “THIS POST MADE ME MAD! GRUG DOWNVOTE!”. It doesn’t even really not make sense, it would be kind of insane to spend like, even just a minute, thinking consciously about every single upvote or downvote you make, it would take a million years for anyone to ever upvote or downvote anything, and a lot of people would just not engage unless they were really committed, which doesn’t necessarily map to their level of discernment, but might just instead map to how mad people could get over a given thing. Plenty of people could get mad enough about a thing to sit through a minute long wait period to downvote something.

• PHLAK@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Think of the up vote button more as a “this information is worth spreading” button than “I like or agree with this content”.