(update - 15th Feb) KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — The mass shooting that unfolded amid throngs of people at the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl celebration appeared to stem from a dispute between several people, authorities said Thursday.

Police Chief Stacey Graves said that the 22 people injured in the shooting ranged between the ages of 8 and 47 years old, half of whom were under the age of 16. A mother of two was also killed.

• Ivy Raven@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

That’s my question too. The cops keep talking about how they had 800~ various law enforcement individuals on hand and it still happened. Guns are a blight. Like this was a huge day for KC and the weather is beautiful, but now it’s just another shooting incident.

• Jean_Lurk_Picard@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

I mean someone could just as easily have stabbed multiple people with a kitchen knife amidst the crowd and law enforcement would not have been able to stop it. I don’t see how the blanket statement “guns are a blight” is valid. Before anyone gets up in arms (heh) I fully support stricter gun laws and better background checks.

• Ivy Raven@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Sure someone could bring in a knife and stab people. But the culture around guns (toxic masculinity, using violence as a means to win an argument, etc) are all problems. And at this point the guns are definitely the main problem. We can look at celebrations in other locales and the rates of violence are lower. And most other ‘first world countries’ have stricter rules/regulations on firearms. Trying to act like guns are part of the problem is just burying ones head in the sand. Sure other factors play into the violence, but when you can easily get a firearm and wish to hurt others it’s a lot easier than pulling out a kitchen knife.

• Jean_Lurk_Picard@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            4 months ago

It’s not sarcasm it’s common sense. Also this is the only form of social media I use. I was just curious about your blanket statement that “guns are a blight” because I strongly disagree. Most people that make comments like that either A. Never handled a gun in their life or B. Regurgitate whatever brainwashing they’ve heard at university or the internet

• rug_burn@sh.itjust.works
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Sadly, it seems any mass gathering is a potential target for this kind of bullshit. Regardless of the number of law enforcement in the area, it only takes seconds to mag dump pretty much any firearm. I’d be interested to know if the victims were complete bystanders or if this was the result of some sort of altercation.

• Ashyr@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

This is the first shooting I’ve known someone in attendance. I literally heard back from them as I was writing this. What an awful sensation.

• Ashyr@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Yeah, he ended up leaving literally just before the shooting started. He didn’t hear the shooting, but all the sirens from police cars as he walked back to his car.

• rug_burn@sh.itjust.works
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

That’s good. Have to feel sorry for the people around when it happened, it’s a terrifying situation all around.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Wow, lucky for him. I know someone that was supposed to be at the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, but he had decided to go home early on a whim and flew home just before that happened.

• RandAlThor@lemmy.caOPM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

A young mother is dead because some morons couldn’t keep their arguments verbal. This is lawlessness.

• Sgt_choke_n_stroke@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

This is getting rediculous I feel like a mass shooting needs to happen in 15 more states before people wake the fuck and realize we need to elect people in Washington to actually create common sense regulation.