I’ve been looking for a photography community in the fediverse that isn’t just a dumping ground of photos.

Does anyone know of one?

• HidingCat@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Nope, sadly. I’m in the same boat as you, not enamoured of the current photography communities so far. They’re more ITAP than a photography community. Tried to post a couple of news articles previously and attracted a couple of rare downvotes, so it seems the community here wants it to be a certain way.

• Biff@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

None that I’ve found. Would be nice to have a community to talk about the process and gear, not just look at pictures.

• Photographer@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

You’re welcome to post photography related content here and see what comes of it, this sub is not just about posting your own content, but while numbers are low I’m not going to restrict that aspect of the community.

• Asimov's Robot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Photography is mostly about pictures though. Do cooks talk mostly about ovens? Yes, the tool is important, but no oven is going to bake a pretty cake on its own. There’s often this obsession with technology that brings little to the art of photography itself.

What kind of discussions are you looking for? Technology, gear, aesthetics, photographers to study, books?

• HidingCat@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Nope, sadly. I’m in the same boat as you, not enamoured of the current photography communities so far. They’re more ITAP than a photography community. Tried to post a couple of news articles previously and attracted a couple of rare downvotes, so it seems the community here wants it to be a certain way.