This is the first thing I actually believe has a chance to hurt Google. Chat Gpt really succeeded, and it’s Microsofts billions behind it. All at the same time as Google has lost its culture of innovation and has become a creepy sleezy company.

• Jeena@jemmy.jeena.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I would welcome a better search engine, all the SEO stuff destroyed Googles index of the web so it’s difficult to find real things outside of reddit. Or perhaps nobody posts on the open web anymore?

• SpaceNoodle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I, too, would welcome something better, but ChatGPT ain’t it. I don’t need bizarrely wrong answers to my searches.

• sunbeam60@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

I’ve found OpenAI’s result-quality significantly better than anything I find on page 1 of search results, whether Google or DuckDuckGo.

For anything other than a very specific, singular term, I use ChatGPT almost exclusively.

• umbrella@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Or perhaps nobody posts on the open web anymore?

I think this is the bigger factor. Most people are now talking on closed unindexed FB/Insta, closed Discord groups, closed groupchats… All unfindable and unsearchable.

And no way a competitor will open themselves to get scraped by Google in 2024, such is capitalism.

• Optional@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I don’t know, but photo editors are having a field day with him. Every article has some bizarre picture in it. Just because it’s . . him.

• coolmojo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

They could use Bing with a chat interface powered by CharGPT and they can call it Bing Chat /s

• NevermindNoMind@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I doubt OpenAI is about to run a AI driven search product supported by ads, so I don’t know that this is a direct competition. This looks more aimed at outfits like Perplexity.AI. Right now most people are still interested in who has the best models. But at some point all the models will be good enough to the average consumer, much like ass smartphones have good enough processors, and the question becomes what can they do. OpenAI in particular seems intent on building out ChatGPT to be some kind of all encompassing do everything assistant.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The ChatGPT maker is developing its own web search product, The Information reported, citing unnamed sources.

The Information report said it’s unclear if OpenAI’s search product would be separate from ChatGPT, its AI chatbot.

OpenAI did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Business Insider, made outside normal working hours.

Microsoft was quick to integrate OpenAI’s technology into Bing after the popularity of ChatGPT, offering users a more interactive way of searching the web that included a chatbot service.

Following the launch, he called Google the 800-pound gorilla in search and said he wanted everyone to know Microsoft had made its arch rival “dance.”

Users complained the chatbot was engaging in “unhinged” conversations, prompting the company to limit the length of chats in response.

The original article contains 240 words, the summary contains 126 words. Saved 48%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!