• Wheaties [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

the term “middle class” originated from the aristocratic ruling class of european feudalism

when people’s place in society was determined by blood, by birth, there were two classes: peasants and nobility (and also there was clergy but there’s always more detail, isn’t there, so lets ignore the more fiddly categories…). As industrialization and market relations grew out of the early modern period, a funny thing started happening: there were people, born as peasants, who, through their property, started to amass wealth equal to (and often greater than!) the nobility. The nobles didn’t like that. They looked down on this strange class that was caught in the middle of two worlds. Middle Class has historically referred to the Capitalists.

I know today the term just means a sort of vague gesture to some ‘average of people’. But that’s fucking useless. It only really acts to obfuscate the real defining characteristic of modern class; birthright has been replaced with the right of property (specifically property that generates a passive source of income for the owner). I highly advise to rail against, or at least avoid, the term “middle class”. It just serves as a wedge to divide different levels of working class people from one another – that’s not a successful way to talk about and promote working class interests!

• keepcarrot [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Nowadays, in the US (and other anglo nations), it means “Not literally starving in the street and not a billionaire”. At least, that’s what it feels like

• InevitableSwing [none/use name]@hexbear.netOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

A tweet

Was reading about the three-legged stool the other day re retirement and realized too many people probably do not even know the term or what it refers to. Our politicians have stolen the American dream with zero consequence.

I’m older than most of you but I still didn’t know that term and I had to google. I almost laughed when I learned the definition.

Three-Legged Stool: Meaning, Overview, History

The “three-legged stool” is an old phrase that many financial planners once used to describe the three most common sources of retirement income: Social Security, employee pensions, and personal savings. It was expected that this trio would together provide a solid financial foundation for the senior years. None of the three was expected to support most retirees on its own.

• The_Walkening [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

They removed the employee pension part of the leg and replaced it 401k’s which have only been around since the 80’s and there is not a generation of people that have retired on them.

• InevitableSwing [none/use name]@hexbear.netOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

The concept of a pension was retired. But financial “innovations” like gig economy, copays, deductibles, medical bankruptcy, student debts, etc have been greatly expanded. Capitalism, baby!

• StellarTabi [none/use name]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

401k’s which have only been around since the 80’s and there is not a generation of people that have retired on them.

damn, somehow I know that after all my 401k-less comrads die in the freemarket famines, of 2050, probably the last rugpull on my generation will be the collapse of 401ks. Then in 2070 there will be YouTube videos explaining why 401ks were an obvious scam from the beginning, but you probably won’t find anyone explaining/claiming that today. It’s just going to happen somehow I know it lol.

• Hohsia [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

No one has a “secure job” btw

Feel free to believe your job is secure all you want, but when the stock market dips or your soulless company wants to take in more profits, workforce reductions affect everyone

• Owl [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I thought everyone rich enough not to live somewhere with holes in the walls and poor enough not to own a golf course considered themselves “middle class.”

A thoroughly useless term.

• Dolores [love/loves]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

folks with holes in the wall still imagine themselves “middle class” if washed thoroughly enough in ideology. you ever talk to those old folks that say shit like ‘we never thought we were poor’ and then talk about getting a coal stipend to not freeze in the winter as a core childhood memory brainworms

• MF_COOM [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

That’s bullshit that 35% of Americans have all six. Only 50% Americans even have a job. Mayyybe 35% of Americans have the first one.

• idkmybffjoeysteel [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Does anyone else get these videos on TikTok where it’s like:

• working class - £20k
    • lower middle class - £30k
    • middle class - £40k
    • upper middle class - £50k
    • upper class - £60k
    • ruling class - £70k

and the comments are so uninformed that they just accept this stratification as a given. Try to explain to people that if you have to work for a living and if you stop working you die then you are working class and it doesn’t compute. Nevermind that you can’t actually raise a family comfortably with a single income of less than £70k in this country, if you try to explain to people actually yeah we should all be getting paid a hell of a lot more they will look at you like you’ve just tried to fuck their dog.

In my opinion, if a middle class exists, it is small business owners and doctor couples with a combined income of £400k, and anyone that has started to accumulate rental properties in addition to owning their own home.

• FanonFan [comrade/them, any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Yeah the working class is undoubtedly divided along multiple lines, it’s just about figuring out what those lines are and how they influence things.

Middle is too loose of a signifier and salary brackets only have a soft correlation with material interests.

Arguably things like retirement investments and home ownership could be materially impactful differences between subsections of the working class.

• Hohsia [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

“Middle class” is a term used by other working class people with puritanical brain rot who just want to distance themselves from the poor as much as possible