I just had this notification come up, not sure if it’s exclusive to Pixel Watches (appears to be Pixel Watch exclusive currently) and Pixel phones - but seems to be a more “intelligent” version of Trusted Devices since supposedly the range is shorter, and it requires your watch to be unlocked.

Seems nice. If your phone is unlocked by the watch, a screen on the watch will appear for a few seconds that lets you relock the phone (and I suspect prevents it from unlocking again until the PIN is entered).

Obligatory “trust your surroundings” disclaimer if you enable this. I haven’t had the opportunity to test the range yet, but I’ll certainly enjoy it at home at the very least.

Google has a support document on this feature here - provided by @scottrepreneur@lemmy.world

• roofuskit@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Why lock your phone at all if you’re going to do stuff like this? This level of convenience pretty much eliminates security.

• Russ@bitforged.spaceOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

For me personally, I have a higher “trust factor” at home, for obvious reasons.

I’m not suggesting you use it while out and about (in fact, I tried to imply that you shouldn’t). Whether you choose to use it or not is up to you, I’m just here to show that it’s an option now.

• Russ@bitforged.spaceOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

That would be nice, but I don’t see a setting for that unfortunately. But the setting in the Wear app is pretty quick to get to at least.

• Delphiantares@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Don’t do it it’s shit in it’s current form . Turned it on and at first face unlock would kick in faster . then bizzarly it would activate simultaneously with either finger print or face and results in a loop where it would unlock then get kicked back to the lock screen and tell me that it was unlocked by the watch but it wasn’t unlocked . Got annoying enough that I had to hold the watch hand out away from the phone when I tried to unlock, eventually just said screw it and turned it off.

Pixel watch 2 and 8 pro.

Only had it work properly maybe a handful of times