• TenderfootGungi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Yellowstone is on a small mountain so the elevation is moderately high. We were not prepared for snow in July. It did not stick well, but the temperate was near freezing. Hours later it was nice again.

Edit: Not OP, just wanting to point out that snow is on the ground most of the year in the higher parts of Yellowstone.

• Yondu_the_Ravager@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

I really enjoyed going in the winter, but it might not be for everyone. Much of the park isn’t accessible unless you take a snow coach tour or rent a snowmobile. The only area open to road traffic in the winter is the northern entrance in Gardiner to Mammoth Hot Springs, and then the road through Lamar Valley that connects to the northeast entrance at Silver Gate/Cooke City.

That said it was absolutely beautiful, it was by far my favorite vacation I’ve taken. It was COLD though. One day it hit -25f with a high of 2f that day haha

Edit: I misread your comment, you probably don’t need my explanation if you go every year 😅

• snor10@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Are there still buffalo in the US? Or is that a bison?

Sorry, ignorant european here.

• Yondu_the_Ravager@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Bison! And yes there are still some in the US. Not as many as there used to be in the 1800’s, but there are still quite a number of them around the country.

• CeruleanRuin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Technically they are bison, but colloquially they have also been called buffalo for a couple centuries now, so it’s an accepted part of the lexicon.