Kids Online Safety Act gains enough supporters to pass the Senate::The bill would create a duty of care for tech platforms to protect child and teen users.

• KairuByte@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I’ve taken photos of my id before, for verification purposes. I am 100% certain you are vastly overestimating the difficulty to create a workable fake.

If the concern is a reflection effect, just replicate that effect pre-printing. If you can’t because they want different angles, just use some holographic tape that mimics the effect.

But keep in mind, the fakes I’m talking about pass scrutiny by cops who have the literal fake in their hands. I doubt a still photo or even video is going to be a huge hurdle.

• ColeSloth
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

You don’t understand that there’s not a shiny reflective ink option in your printer?

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

… You don’t understand that stickers exist? Or that you can replicate the reflection for a specific angle before printing?

• ColeSloth
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Ok. Kudos to you if you find a 16 year old kid that has a good color printer, photoshops out all the reflective portions of an ID, finds and purchases illegally sold transparent reflective stickers that matches up to the ones specifically to his state, and takes a picture of it so he can go back to doomscrolling tiktok vids.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

My friend, you can just order a fake online. It gets delivered to your door, and would pass any KYC or verification out there unless it cross references actual government databases.

If you want to go cheap, you can generate it, and print at a local library, or a print shop.

I don’t understand why you think “having a color printer” and “knows how to edit images” is a high bar for entry. Especially when you just need one kid in a school to enable the whole school to get access.

This isn’t complicated.