Digital addiction is spiraling out of control as people attempt to combat loneliness by falling in love with AI girlfriends, a top psychologist has warned.

• pavnilschanda@lemmy.world
    shield
    OPM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

There have been some fruitful discussions under this article, which is commendable. I would, however, like to remind you to abide to the rules, especially Rule 1. Be nice and civil. Thanks!

• Rayspekt@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Maybe we should do something about the modern (male) loneliness problem instead of piling onto AI. It’s just the symptom, not the problem.

• El Barto@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

And what’s this male loneliness problem you’re talking about?

What would be a reasonable solution?

Edit: Downvoted for asking a question? How many lonely people are here? I mean, I know I am one, but guys… just answer.

• antidote101@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Better than them doing mass shootings… Also these AIs seem pretty preachy on morality, so this really one of those social phenomena that’s only a problem of we problematize it.

More of a wait and see problem, than a lives are at risk problem.

• guyrocket@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

How long until these are integrated into sex dolls and we have a real life Ex Machina?

I think red pillers have been waiting for this to happen. For real women to be unnecessary.

• El Barto@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I’m not a red piller, and I can’t wait for this to happen.

Girlfriend for the human connection, sex bot for the things girlfriend doesn’t want to do.

Come on, Mary Anne, why don’t you try on the fucking Birdman costume just once?!!!

• El Barto@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Not the same, and not the point.

I put on a Catwoman costume on an inflatable doll and ask it to lick my nostrils, I’ll get nothing. Maybe an “eh” experience.

Enter the sex robot with human-like behavior. In the end, a sex robot is a thing. You kick a football, the football won’t complain, it won’t feel pain. A sex robot can endure virtually any sordid fantasy you may have, and it will be fun!

Then you go cuddle with your human girlfriend and listen to all her stories in a happy mood.

• guyrocket@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

I did not say it was either the same or the point, elbarto777.

That was a joke, but I see your too laserbeam focused on your own genitals to see anything else.

• Rolder@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

It would probably be for the best, if red pillers could fulfill their needs this way instead of reaching a breaking point and resorting to violence.

• Mango@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Addiction is whatever attention seeyker don’t like because it’s got your attention more than them. Attention seekers are the ones who’s will label you as attention deficit.

• hips_and_nips@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Addiction is a compulsive, chronic, physiological or psychological need for a habit-forming substance, behavior, or activity having harmful physical, psychological, or social effects and typically causing well-defined symptoms (such as anxiety, irritability, tremors, or nausea) upon withdrawal or abstinence.

Don’t blame someone else for your addictions. That’s just pathetic.

• pavnilschanda@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I’d say that addiction is real, especially when it interferes with important parts of your life. And the thing is that many if not most apps, including AI companionship apps, are built to retain user attention, so they will employ methods that can artificially induce addictive behavior.