This a slightly spruced up version of the free The Ur-Quan Masters. However, far as I understand it, it is provided by the original makers of Star Control II (that have since lost the IP).

Description from Steam:

Experience the award-winning space saga. Travel to hyperspace, discover alien worlds, and meet an eclectic cast of characters. Find out what happened after the Ur-Quan invasion. And if the war still rages, fight for Earth and the Alliance of Free Stars!

• NevelioKrejall@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

If you liked this game, you might be interested to learn that Pistol Shrimp games, an independent game dev company started by Paul Rieche III and Fred Ford (the original creators of Star Control and Star Control 2), are making a sequel, with story written by Paul Rieche III.

The re-release on steam is partly to get the word out about it. Join our discord to learn more!

• remotelove@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Fuck yes! The was one of my favorite games when I was much younger.

Online PvP now? Wow. Prodigy was still in its heyday when I was playing this.

• EvilBit@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Literally everyone alive should download and play this game. The music slaps harder than ya mama and it’s one of the best open world games ever made while having come out in nineteen-ninety-goddamn-two.

• otp@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Also give a search for UQM MegaMod.

Man-made HD graphics, and a bunch of optional QoL options. It’s fantastic!