• Baut [she/her] auf.@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

For others who wonder the same: the announcement is from the 19th this month and they licensed it under Apache 2.0.
    This is really cool to see! I hope they are testing the waters for releasing the source engine as free software. I remember Gabe Newell stating that they would consider it if people were interested. Doesn’t have to mean anything, but a woman can dream~

• _Atlas_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I don’t get it. Is it just audio tweaking tools that developers can use, that they have now made open source?

• FryboyterOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

It’s more than just a simple tool with which you can tweak audio. Some features are listed at https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/. The tool is mainly intended for the development of games (also under Linux).

And yes, it’s basically just about the fact that Steam Audio is now completely open source.

• Julian@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

It’s a tool for easily creating realistic audio in games. Basically you can give it a 3d environment, and it can bake sound propagation information so that sounds have realistic reverb and filters. They’ve used it for some of their recent games (most notably Half-Life: Alyx).

• Molecular0079@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

God the sound design in Alyx was insanely good. I felt like I was legitimately in City 17 and it was terrifying. It was a really good showcase of what Steam Audio can do.