On Tuesday, nearly 20 percent of the school’s 1,067 students were reportedly absent.

• shalafi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I’m 53. I have never met, or heard of, a person that had measles. I honestly don’t really know what it is.

As kids, we all thought that shit was extinct. Measles were as irrelevant as smallpox and polio.

• FollyDolly@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Jesus. My grandmother had polo as a child and was wheelchair bound for life because of it. And it’s coming back. All because some idoits think they know better than decades of science.

• Asafum@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

You don’t get it man, it’s like the man, man. He lies to make money so he can mine gold for the aliens since they all took over positions of power and demand gold for their… Planet? So the vaccines actually make you a dwarf miner that wants nothing more than to mine gold for the aliens, or the rich dude, for the aliens, yeah that one.

It’s so obvious sheep! All you need to do is open your eyes and listen to the totally free and not biased at all PatriotMuricaPatriotMomsBasementPatriotReport.Freedom/liberty podcast! He’s just one of us so he can be trusted™

• khannie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Is polio really back? I haven’t heard anything about it in years except the drive to finally eradicate it.

• Xtallll@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

My mom lost a brother to measles in the 50s. She is hard core pro-vacination, and will to this day proudly show off the scar from getting one of the first polio vaccines.

• macrocephalic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I’m a bit younger than you but I remember measles was something recent when I was a kid, but it also wasn’t something that any of my contemporaries caught. This is what happens when you spend 40 years telling everyone that their opinion matters; your opinion doesn’t mean shit when it goes against verifiable scientific research.

• KyuubiNoKitsune@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I’m 37 and was born immunocompromised so didn’t get any vaccines when I was younger. I went on to get measles and mumps. Measles almost killed me. Honestly, fuck antivaxxers, they can all go get fucked.

• RBWells@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I’m around your age and didn’t have measles but did have mumps (the other M in the MMR shot) and everyone I knew had chicken pox. I don’t know how the immunizations worked back then (what the schedule was) we did get the shots. Had mumps as a preschooler, chicken pox around 7. Uncomplicated both times, my brothers were younger when the chicken pox came through and had it worse.