• bier@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I’m not the one you asked, but what I like isn’t really about PHP itself, but the fact that I can get dirt cheap hosting with PHP and MySQL. Every time I want to create a small “app” that makes some manual task easier it’s very useful to create something I can access from the internet.

Python is really useful for stuff like that too, but (in my experience) not as easy and cheap to use as an web app.

For example I go to dinner with some friends every month and we always forget who’s turn it is to choose and book a restaurant. So I just made this PHP page that shows the current and next 2 months with a name. So we always use that to see who’s turn it is.

• bier@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I don’t know, maybe it’s because PHP used to be the default web based language? I just buy hosting, I don’t sell it…

• bitcrafter@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I’m not the one you asked, but what I like isn’t really about PHP itself, but the fact that I can get dirt cheap hosting with PHP and MySQL.

Oh, wow, I looked a little into this and hosting really is dirt cheap! That is a benefit that I genuinely was not expecting.

• phoenixz@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Though I like that you use PHP, I don’t think there is such a thing as PHP hosting, or python hosting? Maybe I’m not understanding what you’re saying here?

• bier@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

When you pay a company and they provide you with a domain (you choose) and give you a webserver, some disk space, a database etc.

I pay about 30 euros a year for 5 websites. They are all very basic (either some php stuff I made, or WordPress). These websites have very few visitors so the hosting specs don’t really matter. All these websites have a specific domain name, some disk space, and a database.

For this price they offer PHP and MySQL. So it’s not a dedicated server where I’m root and can Install other stuff.