I guess their new free plan changes means they force you into linking your account with Google, make you spam done on a million websites as they try to make you change the email associated with them and to use their mobile app.

If you don’t do these things you lose your free data allowance!
And as a paid user it’s even more annoying shit to deal with when visiting your inbox!

The best part? Doesn’t even allow you to dismiss it.

Why does Proton keep making the UX worse and they are getting more aggressive.

• verysoft@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

This is on a paid account, that’s what’s more disgusting. Maybe just a huge error on their end, but I still don’t believe this is a good way to get business from their free accounts. Wanting people to link their account to a Google account when the goal and marketing is privacy??

• originalucifer@moist.catsweat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

it kinnd of looks like its just attempting to get you to setup alternative access methods so you dont get locked out of the account.

• verysoft@kbin.socialOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Nope, it just tells you some basic privacy info, wants you to link a Google account, wants you to change your account emails for different services (you have to click done on them all) and wants you to login on their mobile app.
          It seems like this was their plan for adding the extra 5GB storage to free accounts, which I think is fair, if you are not forced to link a Google account, that’s the worst offender here. It appears massively bugged though and probably should not be appearing on paid accounts at all.

• Steve@communick.news
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            4 months ago

I’m not sure what what you think is involved in “linking” your Gmail.

It’s all standard procedure when switching to any new email address or service.
            You go to your old email, set up an auto forward. That way while you’re telling all your various accounts your new email address, you don’t miss anything that’s still going to the old address.

It doesn’t give Google any access to your Proton account, Proton emails, or anything really. Just the knowledge that you’re using another email. If that still bothers you, the address you have Gmail forward to could be a SimpleLogin address. That way even Google doesn’t know what your new Proton email address is.

• akilou@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I’m on the Unlimited plan and I got this same thing today in my inbox. It was weird because it was like “double your storage to a gig” , but I have 500 gigs.