Typing test: https://monkeytype.com
I used Unexpected Keyboard

Any tips on how to improve typing speed? (without using word suggestion and autocorrect)

I’m interested in how fast people who swipe type are.

Also, do those keyboards like Thumb Key and FlickBoard have the potential “to be faster” than the standard keyboards?

• @SportsRulesOpinions@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    123 months ago

I just tried it with my swipe keyboard and the website didn’t like it at all. It was double entering words randomly when I would otherwise type fine.

• @SportsRulesOpinions@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      83 months ago

That said, I got 34 wpm and 95% accuracy, which is in line with me using a qwerty or Dvorak physical keyboard. I ain’t no Speedy Gonzalez.

• misery mansion
      link
      fedilink
      English
      43 months ago

I tried it with open board and had the same issue I’m never going back to non swiping but I miss swype everyday

• @lobut@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        33 months ago

Swype is great but every now and then I get “swypos” where I’ll think I put the right word and I put something else there and the reader has to figure it out :)

• @Starayo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          23 months ago

Swipe typing used to be so good for me, but now I have to correct every third word, it feels like. And it keeps correcting to just the most random ass words. Why the hell would it correct “probably” to “pusillanimous”? I’ve tried multiple modern keyboards and they’re all like this, I should download an old apk…

• @philwills@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        23 months ago

I really wish Microsoft would release the original swype again… Pretty sure I read somewhere that they’re the current owners (due to acquisitions).

• misery mansion
          link
          fedilink
          English
          23 months ago

It carried on working for years and years without updates but finally died recently. I miss gestural copy and paste for sure

• @ExLisper@linux.community
    link
    fedilink
    English
    93 months ago

25 wpm 83%

I was using phones with hardware keyboards for way too long and never really learned to type on screen keyboards. Now I just hate them and use desktop communicators whenever I can.

• Nomecks
    link
    fedilink
    English
    63 months ago

HP office keyboard from 2010 (The cadillac of keyboards), and somewhere around 90 WPM.

• CronyAkatsuki
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Unexpected keyboard also, never liked swyping to type, autosuggestion and things like that.

Also this is on cold when I just woke so my wpm is usually a but faster than this on mobile, while I have 100-110 on average on pc with regular qwerty.

• @CrayonRosary@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Thanks, everyone fornletting me kmkw aboit Florisbkard. Im always down to rey to nee opem source keyboard. It has perfext typing.

Edit: I honestly don’t know how anyone could praise an early beta keyboard with no autocorrect and no paricularly compelling features over OpenBoard.

• @ikidd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      73 months ago

Yah, the Florisboard comments always weird me out. There isn’t a chance in hell I’m using a keyboard without an autocorrect. Everyone must type perfectly with their thumbs except me.

• Captain Aggravated
        link
        fedilink
        English
        33 months ago

I used to on physical keyboards. I would turn autocorrect on my LG Ally off because it was in the way more than anything else.

Onscreen keyboards exist because god is dead and satan is in charge.

• @penguin_knight@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        23 months ago

I don’t type with autocorrect. Last time I checked it was around the same speed as me using swipe, ~76 wpm.

I’ve recently started growing my nails so that has made it slightly harder. Not sure how people type with nails.

• @bahcodad@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      3 months ago

What keyboard did you use to type that comment? Looks like the autocorrect doesn’t work. Or was that unexpected keyboard?

link
        fedilink
        English
        53 months ago

FlorisBoard, the one that so many comments are recommending. No idea why. It doesn’t even have autocorrect yet.

• @Pantherina@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -13 months ago

You only need autocorrect if the keyboard is the wrong size, and florisboard can be adapted to your needs perfectly

• @bahcodad@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              13 months ago

Im using florisboard, im getting used to not having autocorrect but i think im doing ok so far. I believe autocorrect is in beta

• @Pantherina@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              03 months ago

Thats true. Maybe thumbkey is better for you? A standard keyboard is not made to use that space efficiently.

But relying on some automated often tracking process to correct what you “actually wanted to say” is very strange.

link
                fedilink
                English
                13 months ago

OpenBoard is FOSS and doesn’t track you. You can disable the user dictionary if you consider that tracking.

I know how to proofread. The vast majority of the time it chooses the word I meant, and it’s trivial to fix the mistakes. Without it, I can’t get through two words without a typo, as evidenced by my original comment.

Caring that someone else requires autocorrect to be an effective communicator and calling their usage of it “very strange” is dick thing to say.

• @Pantherina@feddit.de
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  03 months ago

There is no autocorrect on pen&paper or hardware keyboards. If keyboards are that bad that you need it, they are bad.

Idk, it may just be because of the touchscreen.

• Shadow
    link
    fedilink
    English
    53 months ago

SwiftKey wants to capitalize every first letter for some reason, so it gave me 0 wpm due to errors

• @Fondots@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    43 months ago

43wpm, 95% accuracy, Gboard Dvorak no swipe

Fingers are a bit cold from just walking the dog, and I’m tired from getting off a 12 hour shift, have a feeling I could do better under different circumstances.

Haven’t tested myself on a real keyboard in a long time, but once upon a time I could hit well north of 100wpm pretty consistently if I tried. When I tested myself in preparation for my current job about 5 years ago I think I usually hovered somewhere around 80-90 (911 dispatch, my agency requires at least 60 to pass the aptitude test, I wasn’t worried about passing but I was curious where I was at since I hadn’t been typing much at the time)

• Kogasa
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    3 months ago

78wpm 92% gboard

~200wpm on a physical desktop keyboard

• ferret
    link
    fedilink
    English
    23 months ago

58 with stock apple keyboard (don’t know why I decided to post this comment in an android community lol)

• Iceblade
    link
    fedilink
    English
    23 months ago

50WPM, 100% accuracy with AnySoftKeyboard and no aids. This was the third try.