Comcast says it represents a 10 Gigabit cable internet network they are building (it doesn’t exist) so they are basically changing the meaning of the g from generation to gig to act like 10g is 5 generations better (or twice as fast)…or that they have a 10 gigabit network. Neither is accurate. It’s still just cable internet that people have to use because they have no other option.

Fuck Comcast.

I read online they are abandoning the “confusing” 10g branding but I just saw a commercial for it. They think all of their customers are morons and count on folks having no other choices in a lot of cases.

Apologies to anyone outside the United States, this is just complaining about our poor internet options and deceptive advertising by greedy corporations.

• Ghostalmedia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

It depends on the carrier. I’m on AT&T’s network, and they have parts of the network that they labeled “4G” and parts that they labeled “LTE.”

The simplest answer is to Google what your carrier considers LTE, 3G, and 4G speeds. Some carriers consider LTE to be their “4G,” some carriers have networks labeled 4G and LTE, some carriers consider LTE to be 3G+, some consider 4G to be 3G+ … it’s all a big mess, it depends on what the marketing team decided to label the network hardware, and every carrier has different definitions for the same terms.