• vexikron@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Unless you go to basically a non franchise, non chain, actual asian/chinese restaurant/take out place… yeah basically if you dont do that, you are getting pretty much reconstituted chicken puree doused in… not really even real orange chicken sauce.

As with much modern food in America… its got waaaay more sugar and is missing other vital parts of the original way of making it.

Real orange chicken from a real chinese place tastes significantly different, and varies from place to place if they actually make the sauce on site. Usually a different medley of spices and oils… way more flavorful than extremely sweet orangeness.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Orange chicken is not a traditional food in China. It was invented in the USA at chinese take out restaurants using locally available ingredients.

• Varyk@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

I thought this too, especially after I lived in China for years, but I just went to Southern China and tangerine chicken is a traditional food used for celebrations.

Even if you don’t eat it, since it’s sweet, it’s like a traditional celebratory good luck food to always have with your feasts at weddings or promotion dinners or family get-togethers.

First time I ever saw orange chicken in China, but apparently it is a traditional food down south, as far back as anyone I talked to remembers, and it’s important to note that in the south, every spring festival every family and business buys a tangerine or clementine tree like a Christmas tree, so likely not an original Hawaiian creation in 1987 or whatever that cook says it was.

Maybe he independently created it, but it doesn’t look like he originally created it.

• Varyk@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

High five.

When I was riding through the city I was in, there were multiple commercial rows like 100 deep and a thousand wide of clementine and tangerine trees, it was pretty cool.

Maybe the Chinese orange chicken is actually made from clementines and not tangerines, because I remember there being a lot more clementine trees

• vexikron@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

No, it isn’t a traditional Chinese recipe, but many American Chinese restaurants have figured out a way to do an analog of it as I described, due to many Americans now expecting it as a basic staple of ‘Chinese food’.

• NathanUp@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

It’s pretty easy to make at home too. I make vegan orange chicken often.

Edit: the downvotes you get the minute you mention the “v-word” are hilarious. Some of you people are so touchy about a stranger on the internet just having a nice time and eating whatever food he wants to, god damn.

• NathanUp@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

I usually buy the gardein nuggets as they have a really good texture for it. You can use the big TVP chunks. If you do, you should hydrate it in stock with a splash of vinegar, press the moisture out, sautee in lots of fat until a good sear develops, and then coat in breadcrumbs or corn-starch and fry.

I’ll do tofu as well. You have to buy good tofu though, not that mealy garbage in the plastic container full of water.

Fried cauliflower is delicious, but devoid of protein, so I never use it here as I don’t want to be hungry in an hour.