link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Don’t start.

Elizabeth David in English Bread and Yeast Cookery. She writes,

It is interesting that these soft biscuits are common to Guernsey, and that the term biscuit as applied to a soft product was retained in these places, and in America, whereas in England it has completely died out

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

The etymology of the word comes from French and Latin, literally meaning “twice cooked”.

I come from the Channel Islands, I can tell you from experience that it’s not exactly a place of high education. I can also easily see them giving a two fingered salute to the French, as well as to the English on occassion.

• kbotc@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

The progenitor of the American biscuit, the British Hardtack biscuit from the Navy, was cooked 4 times, so let’s not get too high on our own farts that “we have the right way because we cook it twice just like the French intended!”

• Cheradenine@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

But what the wonderfully pedantic Elizabeth David is saying is that this was a common term, even though etymologically incorrect because language evolves, and now it only exists in this form in Guernsey and the U.S.

Her book is fantastic if you are a bread geek, maybe even if you aren’t , or you’re looking for interesting, often forgotten local breads.

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Yeah I have no problem with it being a common term, I just feel the need to point out it’s wrong hah. People say wrong things all the time colloquially, but they know it’s wrong.

Calling a cottage pie a shepherd’s pie is worse though, along with calling a wind turbine a windmill.

• Cheradenine@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

I will make a Windmill Pie and post it tomorrow. It will be very traditional with steak, lamb, kidney, and plenty of wind (I had beans today).

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

I’m all for that. Make the cheese look like solar panels for added effect.