I’m Looking for a good office chair.

Thanks! Found a good price for a Steelcase Amia.

• Tarquinn2049@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

The most important thing, no chair can solve the problem of uninterrupted sitting for 8+ hours. No matter what you spend or what materials they use. Sitting for 8+ hours will slowly do permanent damage to your body. No matter what chair you sit in, stand up occasionally, take little walks, do exercises or calisthenics or something, whatever feels right for you.

I’m Autistic and when I play videogames I can get so hyperfocused that I don’t realise the outside world has moved forward a whole day. Until something physically interrupts my gameplay. So I set timers now, and I strictly obey them. Nothing short of surgery will ever heal my tailbone issue, but I can at least prevent it from getting worse.

I also have a standing desk, so I will swap it between standing and sitting every 2 hours if I don’t want to take breaks. And I have a VR headset for using my computer from different chairs; a recliner, a kitchen chair, anything different from my computer chair. I also use the VR headset for most of my non-computer gaming. It has become my current console gaming platform.

VR games are a great way to spend 8+ hours uninterrupted in a game without causing body problems, lol. Plus, if it’s mixed reality, you can still do real life stuff while playing, like walking over and getting a glass of water or talking to and interacting with the other people in the room. In full Virtual reality it’s still a good idea to have timers set, just as a check-in, if you have been standing still in the game, your knees could need some exercise, if you are hungry or thirsty or have to go to the bathroom… you know, the kinds of things you might not notice while the game is running, hehe.

• RazorsLedge@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

For your tailbone, have you had a ganglion impar nerve block? It may help. A pain management facility can do it.

• Tarquinn2049@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I would prefer to feel pain when something is supposed to be painful. The whole point of pain is to avoid doing things that are causing you damage. The reason I’m in this mess is my unnatural ability to ignore pain. Not feeling pain isn’t a solution to a problem, it’s a cause of further problems in the future.