White House urges developers to dump C and C++::Biden administration calls for developers to embrace memory-safe programing languages and move away from those that cause buffer overflows and other memory access vulnerabilities.

• porous_grey_matter@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I don’t think your argument quite holds up. The directionality is important. It’s true that the government can’t always know about technical things directly, but I think it’s fine for the government to be expected to know which experts they need to consult, and for that process not to just be open to everyone (which just means more open to those with more money).

• EatATaco@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

it’s fine for the government to be expected to know which experts they need to consult

What happens if they don’t even know it’s a problem? Or they don’t realize the severity of the problem so it gets a lower priority?

And it also sounds like you’re arguing that I can’t talk to my local representative about what I think are the important issues that need to be addressed. If they have to seek me out, I would have zero input.