Is there a setting anywhere for moderators to take a community private (to make the posts, comments and other data visible only for people who are subscribed)?

If so, how does the mechanism work for finding and/or subscribing to private communities?

• confusedwiseman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Wouldn’t a private community basically be running your own server and not federating?

I’ve not RTFM, but I don’t think it can be per community, but you can choose who to federate with.

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

And the content would not be hidden. You’d be able to see it without an account by just going to that instance directly.

• jirejire12@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I have no idea how “Reddit + Fediverse” (i.e. Lemmy) works in terms of federating, but on Reddit, all you had to do was select an option to set your subreddit to private (only visible to subscribers).

It seems strange if Lemmy doesn’t have a similar feature, for example, if you run a niche community and don’t want random people giving unwelcome, ignorant, malevolent, etc. opinions. Also, in case Lemmy ever has enough users to be prone to “brigading” (groups ganging up on a community to downvote everything, harass subscribers, etc.), a “private” option seems like a basic and necessary feature.

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

You’ll have to keep in mind that every “basic” feature needs to be made by “someone”.

Features don’t just pop into existence, just because they’re needed.

All the work being done by the devs at the moment, is “necessary”, and as they can only do so much, some “necessary” things will have to wait until other “necessary” things are done.