Are they for you? Why or why not?

• theskyisfalling@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Finding public torrents for audio books is utter bullshit in my experience. Myanonamouse has a massive selection, is friendly and well organised and doesn’t have absurd rules, just reasonable ones.

I love the place.

For anything else not audio book related public trackers work just fine for me.

• Sgagvefey@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I really want to join them, but “sign up with your actual IP” is an unconditional dealbreaker as far as I’m concerned.

I don’t consider a VPN optional for regular web browsing. I’m definitely not turning it off for something that’s actually Illegal.

• maxprime@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I agree. It’s one of my favourite websites. Not just for the torrents but the community is really great too. The book clubs are super neat too!

• Mixel@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I also mainly use public trackers id love to get some good German films and so on but they are all behind a private tracker but I learned that after I setup by *arr sadly

• Mixel@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

The language German 😅 If you have any clue where and how I could get them without a private tracker you would make my day

• emhl@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Without private trackers the best way to get German content would probably be through Usenet. Scenenzbs.com would probably be the best indexer there.

Getting into some of the larger German private Torrent trackers isn’t that hard though.

• Որբունի@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

It is diverting the content from public torrents for the sole reason that no one can be bothered to make decentralised cataloguing work better than in the early 1990s in my very biased opinion.

• Mr_Blott@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

My experience precisely. If I can’t find it on mobilism.org, off to myanonymouse. Btw they’re amazing and the servers cost a ton, small donations make a huge difference

I’ve never been unable to find films etc that I wanted on public trackers, especially with the search function on Qbittorrent. Don’t see the need for elitist wanks on private trackers

I doubt they’d even have the obscure stuff that won’t download… Hold on…

The only one sitting at 0% is “Vacuuming Completely Nude In Paradise”, an odd British film. I doubt even a private tracker would have that

• Mr_Blott@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Yay, one film in the last two years that I could’ve obtained if I had a private tracker instead of public ones

Think I’ll survive, thanks! 😁

• Nollij@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Many private trackers, and even a few public ones, have a request forum. The private ones reward users that fill these requests, so they are often effective.

There are some very accessible private trackers (sometimes referred to as semi-private) that meet these requirements. Once you get set up, they can be very set-and-forget. Just avoid the forums.

• KnightontheSun@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Replying to say that I will check mine tomorrow. Too late tonight.

Edit: Mine did not have this film. :(

• theskyisfalling@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I don’t even look anywhere else any more for book related content, straight there, I really like it there. Haven’t been using it for long but already donated and will be doing so again when I am able to for sure!